Horn change!

jeremy44

:
CX-5 AWD GT with Tech pkg
I've decided I have had enough of the horrid sounding horn, but there are multiple factors holding me back from ordering a new horn. Is our horn hard to get to and replaced? Do you think the dealer will know how to change to after market horns? For those wondering I'm planning on getting PIAA Sports Horn 400/500 HZ. They are sold as a "pair" as in there are two "speakers"

There may not be much to this. You may be able to do it fairly easily yourself, or pay a shop to do it for less than a dealer.
The PIAA setup you are looking at is a high and a low tone (400/500). I don't even know...does the CX-5 feature a single or dual tone horn?

Hi/Low pairs will definitely improve the masculinity of the horn note. I did this to my old Hyundai and felt much more manly afterwards lolol I could then "express" myself with impunity!

I think the fun part will be in accessing the horn to replace it ;-) If I understand it right, the grill and all the garnish will need to be removed. If you are going to have the dealer do this they may have some adapter, but I kinda doubt it you might have to go to a aftermarket auto electronics shop to have the work done.

I think many here have considered doing this mod, but I haven't really used to the horn to know how effete it sounds to know whether I want to spend an afternoon swapping it out.

The horn on the new 6 compared to the CX-5 sounds like a train horn. So used to the CX-5 horn that when I used the 6's horn the other day I was like damn this thing is diesel.

The horn on the new 6 compared to the CX-5 sounds like a train horn. So used to the CX-5 horn that when I used the 6's horn the other day I was like damn this thing is diesel.

Note to self, get part number for '14 Mazda 6 horn...

Anyone ever tweak the bolt on a horn to see if the frequency changes?

Do you mind doing a comparison/ video for us? If the 6 horn is good enough I might just get them to swap it. :)

I just popped the hood and can't even seem to be able to locate the horn. There are 2 little circular silver things but they are of different size so that might or might not be. (eek2)

Do you guys use the horn that much while you are driving? (uhm)

The amount of sleepy drivers at green lights and those that do not check their blind spots in the Toronto area is too much...on top of other countless stupid stuff in big cities and suburbs
I'd rather use my horn and be less confrontational then driving up to them and roll down the window to scold the drivers lol (smash)

I have been researching this also and the sad new is the entire front bumper needs to come off in order to change the horn. So I am waiting for it to get warmer to my fingers don't freeze

I haven't beeped the horn on a '13 but I wouldn't be surprised if the one on the 6 is also on the 2014 cx-5 - this thing is NOT quiet.

Jeremy I'll try to make the comparison with the 13' CX-5 and the 14' 6 when I get home tonight. Will upload to youtube.

The thing is when you use the keyfob to lock the doors that beep is a lot stronger than the actual horn beep itself.

The thing is when you use the keyfob to lock the doors that beep is a lot stronger than the actual horn beep itself.

How can that be? It is the same horn getting the same 12 volts.

I'd guess it sounds louder because you are outside and away from the vehicle where the sound travels to better than inside the insulated cabin (or even standing next to the door and reaching in).

Now that I think about it what you said makes heck of a lot more sense than what I said lol :D in any case I will test it tonight but the 6's horn definitely has more muscle to it.

I haven't beeped the horn on a '13 but I wouldn't be surprised if the one on the 6 is also on the 2014 cx-5 - this thing is NOT quiet.

It seems pretty loud to me too. From what I've seen the main complaint is it isn't low enough. Does it only have a single horn from the factory rather than the dual horns of larger cars? Does the 6 have two horns?

Compared the the hella supertone horns it still seemed pretty good: http://youtu.be/PrGH0Go-iN8

It doesn't have the 'big' sound of some of the dual horn setups from full sized cars but it isn't the little meep-meep of a lot of small cars. I've been run off the road by people changing lanes into me with both horns. Most anything will wake them up at a stoplight to go but once they are in a daze on the freeway sometimes there just isn't any waking them up. Maybe one of those loudspeaker buzzer police car horns. Although I remember even seeing where police in some areas were adding some type of warbling subwoofer thing to rattle the cars to wake people up as they get stuck behind people tooling along while they sit behind them with lights and siren going. You don't really get the effect in the video but here it is: http://youtu.be/20fbMTeEpfo

Last edited:
probably also seems louder on the keyfob beep because it is such a short startling burst of sound
Also when you hook the horn with the key fob, you are outside the car & maybe standing in front of the horn. When you press honk while driving, it'll definitely sound weaker.
I like how the dual horns on my speed6 sound. They really piss ppl off, esp if I keep on it for 20 seconds (some idiot in a MB M350 driving crazy in snow)

I had these on my Mazda 3 and they were nice and loud:

$(KGrHqF,!jcFC3rBNy3PBQyRFhHq2g~~60_57.JPG

Planning on doing the same for the CX5 but with black ones, if I cannot get them in black then they will get painted.

Sorry couldn't make it longer and for the poor quality, the 6 was here but we winded up waiting for the CX-5 to get home :) there is definitely a big difference though. Sounds louder than what the video shows.

Sorry couldn't make it longer and for the poor quality, the 6 was here but we winded up waiting for the CX-5 to get home :) there is definitely a big difference though. Sounds louder than what the video shows.

Thanks for the video! :)
The 6 definitely has a much better sounding and louder horn

Back