Homemade torsion bar.

I used slotted, 316SS, about 22" long, and some grade 5 1/2" bolts. 5 minute install, $5 of parts (the strut was scrap from a job), and it works great.

Do be careful about anything less than grade 8/8.8 on anything car related. Even though the 2 won't fall on its side should one of those bolts break, its always a good habit to use grade 8 or better on anything suspension related. Just my 2 cents. Still nice to see creative people doing creative things since I'm from another forum where we have a creative bunch of members.

I would not recommend using grade 8. I considered using it myself but if it seizes you are screwed as it is very hard and impossible to remove. I just used a larger bolt and drilled hole out to the larger size. Check OP.:)

Do be careful about anything less than grade 8/8.8 on anything car related. Even though the 2 won't fall on its side should one of those bolts break, its always a good habit to use grade 8 or better on anything suspension related. Just my 2 cents. Still nice to see creative people doing creative things since I'm from another forum where we have a creative bunch of members.

I figured this would come up. I don't want to argue, but would like to discuss bolt grades. For this application, IMO, grade 5 is sufficient (esp since I used 1/2" bolts), and perhaps better than grade 8. Adding tensile strength to a bolt is not always the best thing to do, and since this piece is constantly flexing and moving, ductility is valued. I've seen a lot of people pour money into higher grade bolts, and sometimes they're worse for the application, and almost never necessary.

Now, on connecting pieces (IE: upright to strut), grade 8 is smart, and I agree 100% - but we only care about tensile strength and shear, so I've even put an AN grade or F9.11 grade bolt in there on some cars.

tl:dr version - spend some time to pick the right hardware, not the more expensive stuff.

Unistrut! :) Neat idea.
After a few shots of your truck, i figured you'd know what unistrut is. Want to chop off a 22" length and do a back to back comparison for me?

Now I learned something new about tensile strength vs ductility according to application. Thanks!
Now that you have brought that up, it does make a bit more sense when you put it under that perspective. That and its not essentially an operation critical part where if it breaks off, the whole car may vault sort of deal. The worst that could happen is that you either lose the stiffening characteristic since one bolt has broken to loosing the whole bar which is just mere dollars to free scrap. Will agree that the strut to spindle bolt should be grade 8 since the forces experienced by these parts exceed what any normal bolt can take. That and maintaining clamping forces with static friction(correct me here) is what keeps the whole thing together.

Now I learned something new about tensile strength vs ductility according to application. Thanks!
Now that you have brought that up, it does make a bit more sense when you put it under that perspective. That and its not essentially an operation critical part where if it breaks off, the whole car may vault sort of deal. The worst that could happen is that you either lose the stiffening characteristic since one bolt has broken to loosing the whole bar which is just mere dollars to free scrap. Will agree that the strut to spindle bolt should be grade 8 since the forces experienced by these parts exceed what any normal bolt can take. That and maintaining clamping forces with static friction(correct me here) is what keeps the whole thing together.

Rule of thumb is that when hardness goes up, ductility or stretch goes down.

This is one of the reasons putting super hard head bolts/studs in is so common on modded motors.

i don't, i did the whole thing on the ground, on my back. I'll try to sneak a picture when I get my car back from the dealership.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1359747925986.jpg
    PicsArt_1359747925986.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back