Homemade torsion bar.

I planned on making five more of my first attempt, but I wasn't allowed due to site regulations. So I won't be able to sell any of the second version either. But will supply dimensions, and sizes for those who actually read the thread...

Awesome I really just need the fastener diameter and overall length from centerline to centerline. :)

So I just got under my car tonight...

I already made my ends (1.5" diameter round bar X 1.5" tall) today, and I just picked a 1.5" hole saw to fish mouth the ends on the 1.5" diameter steel tubing.

The sizes I have under my car are as follows:

10mm bolt hole in the brace that is welded to the twist beam

**ASSUMED** 15mm hole in the twist beam

821mm spacing between bolt hole centers
^^^^^^^^^

The 821mm bolt hole spacing is (in my eyes) a fluctuating number. I believe the actual size should be 820mm. But since the braces are welded on, the bolt hole centers may shift from car to car....

I am going to be drilling out these holes to 5/8" so that they will allow for a little wiggle room for alignment with the (presumed) 15mm holes above them. I realize that this would make the hole 15.875 mm, and the fasteners i am using are 14mm, resulting in an overly sloppy fitment. I would prefer to keep bolt holes 1mm larger the fasteners typically (or 1/16th larger in imperial sized fasteners), but I want to make sure all the bolt holes line up in the end.

Oh and the flat section located around the 10mm bolt hole is in fact 1.5" in diameter, so try not to go over that size for your mounting points.

Sorry this took so long for me to get up on here. Busy BUSY weekend.

Oh and the flat section located around the 10mm bolt hole is in fact 1.5" in diameter, so try not to go over that size for your mounting points.

Sorry this took so long for me to get up on here. Busy BUSY weekend.[/QUOTE]

Cool building mine tomorrow thanx.

So we don't have any 1.5" tubing.... Only 1"... And scrap pieces of other sizes, so I am using 1 1/4" tubing on the outer ends, and 1" tubing in the center.... We'll see how it goes I guess...

Just cut my pieces 2x 1 1/2" shaft cut 1 1/2 tall 1" tube sched. 80 for cross piece all 301 stainless. Drilling takes for ever and I'm impatient colbalt bit with drill press water fed after this machining sides. I have at ig ill be using to weld together.

Last edited:
I got mine all welded up. Gotta finish the paint, and then I'll install it. Probably tomorrow.

Okay, everyone. I might've goofed up... My bar won't fit. It's a little long, an I don't know if I measured the hole spacing incorrectly, or if I got mixed up during the welding process.... I will figure it all out tomorrow. So don't do any final welding there Ryno666

Clod_King:5988354 said:
Okay, everyone. I might've goofed up... My bar won't fit. It's a little long, an I don't know if I measured the hole spacing incorrectly, or if I got mixed up during the welding process.... I will figure it all out tomorrow. So don't do any final welding there Ryno666

No problem I'm lazy this weekend working on it tomorrow. Milled my end pieces and drilled my holes.

Last edited:
Coming up next welding......

Attachments

• 1341957621893.jpg
    1341957621893.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I just installed my bar. The dimensions are correct, I messed up before I welded the bar, and it was too long. But 820mm is the correct bolt center dimension.

I have pics of the finished product, but none of it installed... I was excited to test it. And it works beautifully. I think it works better than the last bar I made. I have no idea whether it is because of the new mounting locations, or the change in materials though. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

When you make a bar, if anything just do it like I did. I mounted the ends on the car and cut the tube to fit. I then just put a few welds to hold it together then took it off to fully weld it. No need for accurate dimensions then.

That would've been the easier route if I had all the tools I needed at home, but I built this at work, and I didn't want to bring any jack stands to get underneath the car. Plus I would run a strong likelihood of puncturing a tire if I were to try and get the car into the shop.

Fits great so far going to clean it up and get 1/4 inch longer stainless fasteners and washers.

Attachments

• 1342355063458.jpg
    1342355063458.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 201
Back