Homemade torsion bar.

Good call. The polished look is nice, but anodized looks nicer. Would you do it yourself? Or send it out?

I have a friend who does stainless jewelery but he may not be able to do this piece because its so large. If it can't be done I will just heat it as hot as I can and burn stain it rainbow like an exhaust. I will know Wednesday.

Last edited:
There is a way to anodize with a cat battery, food coloring, and other s***. I read it somewhere on the intranet

Rattle can it black. Thats funny, :) that's like painting over a beautiful piece of mahogany.

We just dipped it in this acid bath but had to turn up voltage to highest setting because its so dense.

Last edited:
Rattle can it black. Thats funny, :) that's like painting over a beautiful piece of mahogany.

We just dipped it in this acid bath but had to turn up voltage to highest setting because its so dense.

ok point takin ..your proud of your work and want to show it off..im same way when i do mods to my harley..ive done anodizing at home personally i dont like the finish of anodized parts ..im into powder coating now..done quite a few parts for other bikes etc..PC isnt any harder than ano but finish is way more durable ..i coated a derby cover when finished i hit it with a hammer and it didnt chip just dented with the aluminium..worth checking out if ya havnt already..i got my system from columbia coatings its one of the best systems for the money out there ..

I agree 100 percent, but stainless steel is a beautiful finish already and there is no reason to coat it. I already have a ton of things car parts, tools, wheels,and equipment powder coated. By the way anodize job came out horrible so I'm just going to polish it and burn stain it.

Re-polished after the anodize dibacle. Next up burn stain.

Attachments

• IMAG0732.jpg
    IMAG0732.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 223
So far its gold but I need time to get it hotter and then buff.

Attachments

• IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 200
Been driving with my bar for a while now and just installed some plastic washers inbetween mounting hardware. I was getting a tiny squeak in hard turns and all is well now. Also torqued fasteners to 85 ft lbs.

Not to hijack, but I also made my own, and hadn't posted about it yet.

I went a lazy/cheap route, and used Unistrut.

a decent picture of some of the different struts available :

Strut_Channel_Steel_Channel_Unistrut_Channel.jpg

I used slotted, 316SS, about 22" long, and some grade 5 1/2" bolts. 5 minute install, $5 of parts (the strut was scrap from a job), and it works great.

The one is used is square - 1-5/8"x1-5/8". It is completely tucked.

You can get a "double strut" which is two pieces tack welded back to back - so 1-5/8"x3-1/4", I may try one of these soon or a longer one to tinker with rear stiffness.

I used slotted, 316SS, about 22" long, and some grade 5 1/2" bolts. 5 minute install, $5 of parts (the strut was scrap from a job), and it works great.

Do be careful about anything less than grade 8/8.8 on anything car related. Even though the 2 won't fall on its side should one of those bolts break, its always a good habit to use grade 8 or better on anything suspension related. Just my 2 cents. Still nice to see creative people doing creative things since I'm from another forum where we have a creative bunch of members.

Not to hijack, but I also made my own, and hadn't posted about it yet.

I went a lazy/cheap route, and used Unistrut.

a decent picture of some of the different struts available :

Strut_Channel_Steel_Channel_Unistrut_Channel.jpg

Unistrut! :) Neat idea.

Back