High RPM engine problem

JoshP5

Hold the butter
:
AccordSportMT
Wow, it's been a while since I visited this forum. Hopefully you guys can lend me some insight.

I've got a '13 CX5 with 21K on the clock. In autoshifting mode, I executed a passing maneuver this morning, the engine spun up pretty high when suddenly the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Traction control, low tire pressure and flashing CEL came on. Limped the car off the highway (engine operating in safe mode), parked on the side of the road with the engine idling roughly so I shut it down, checked the tires, under the hood, under the car--everything looked fine. Started it up after a few minutes--no dash warning lights, idled smoothly. Drove the rest of the way to work without issue. Seems ok now although I'm not sure I want to push it hard. Any ideas on what happened? Not much came up in a google search.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Read the codes:

P0301
Cylinder 1
misfire detected
PENDING

I guess it had some bad misfire events and the electronics freaked out. Maybe the lumpy idle was because only three cylinders were firing... Anyway I drove about 20 miles this afternoon and it was fine. Guess I'll keep rolling until it presents again, hopefully never.

Pending could mean there is an ongoing misfire that if persistant can trigger a cel. If it's consistent, a bad spark plug can cause this.

It won't hurt to check your battery and clean the connectors.
I bet the alternator gets de-coupled during high RPM/WOT acceleration and your car has to run off just the battery. If the battery is weak you could possibly get some sort of browout/low voltage situation which could cause all kinds of havoc on the engine/transmission and certainly cause your dash to light up.

Also might be a good idea to take it to the dealer before the pending code goes away to get things documented and have them check the car.

That red p5 looks very nice btw!

Read the codes:

P0301
Cylinder 1
misfire detected
PENDING

I guess it had some bad misfire events and the electronics freaked out. Maybe the lumpy idle was because only three cylinders were firing... Anyway I drove about 20 miles this afternoon and it was fine. Guess I'll keep rolling until it presents again, hopefully never.

It could be due to out of spec fuel. When Washington State Dept. of Weights/Measures did unannounced spot checks they found almost half of the fuel was out of compliance. Some of it was below spec octane, some had more than 10% ethanol and some of it was simply not labeled according to the requirements.

I vote for checking your battery and connections as well.

A dash lit up like a christmas tree usually indicates an electrical issue. A misfire code should only illuminate the CEL light.

Some great theories; thanks for the responses. I'll check the battery, probably take it to the dealer as well and will post back with the outcome...
That red p5 looks very nice btw!
It's been my daily for 10 years (The CX5 is my wife's)--I hope the P5 never dies!

Update--just in case anyone else has this problem and stumbles across this thread.

I recently took the car into the dealer for an oil change and was informed there was an ECU update, so it was reflashed and the problem has not occurred since. (drinks)

Update--just in case anyone else has this problem and stumbles across this thread.

I recently took the car into the dealer for an oil change and was informed there was an ECU update, so it was reflashed and the problem has not occurred since. (drinks)

Yeah I think its the ecu flash needed for cold weather conditions. I've not needed it thus far.

In early January of this year Mazda notified owners of 2013-15 CX-5s with 2.0 ltr engines of the following emissions recall:

On certain subject vehicles, the powertrain control module (PCM) may wrongly detect a misfire when accelerating with high engine rpm (more than 5,500 rpm) and with wide-open throttle in cold weather conditions below 32 F (0 C), due to improper control logic of the PCM. Under such condition, a malfunction indicator light may flash and the PCM may fall into failsafe mode, which can restrict the throttle opening and cause a lack of power.

Dealers will reprogram the PCM with the latest software to modify the PCM control logic, free of charge.

Like others here, I haven't bothered to have mine done yet since I never encounter that kind of weather here in Northern Calif. I suspect I may have to have it done in order to reregister the car in October.

... Like others here, I haven't bothered to have mine done yet since I never encounter that kind of weather here in Northern Calif.
But you still need the PCM refresh for winter skii trip to Lake Tahoe... :)

Back