HID Problem ... Please help

gertie508

:
Mazda, Protege 5
After a great recommendation from someone on here, I bought the DDM Tuning HID kit for my P5. My problem now is one light is brighter than the other one and I can not figure it out??? I thought it was the bulbs, after talking to the great people at DDM, they sent me a new set of bulbs. One is still brighter than the other. I switched the bright one with the "dim" one and come to the conclusion its not the bulbs the one side stays brighter than the other. I am not mechanically inclined so I have no idea what to even look for. I did make sure all the wires are tightly plugged in. Please help me.
Thank you so much!!!!

Easiest way is to either switch the bulbs, or switch the ballasts. Since the bulbs are a PITA to get in, I would suggest just switching the ballasts. If the one that was dimmer and is now brighter, and the bulb that was bright is now dimmer, you have your culprit.

Also, check fuses. On my H7s, one was extremely dim. I went and bought a new bulb. No help. I then bought an HID kit, and the side that was dim would not ignite. As it turned out, that fuse was burned out. Replaced it with 30a fuse, and fixed it just fine.

I doubt that's it, but they're easy to check. It's interesting that yours light, but are dim. I understood these HIDs require less power to run, but far more power on initial light up. It looks like you're getting the "pop" to light but not enough juice for correct brightness.

You may need a relay. i bought one, but never used it. They're like $15 + shipping iirc.

Thanks so much! As soon as we get a warmer day I will try those suggestions. The dim light sometimes doesn't always light right away. Sometimes I have to shut the lights off and turn them back on again to get it to light.

Thanks so much! As soon as we get a warmer day I will try those suggestions. The dim light sometimes doesn't always light right away. Sometimes I have to shut the lights off and turn them back on again to get it to light.

If it flickers on startup, you need to check your fuse for that headlamp and replace it with a 30a (stock is 20a). Do that before going off and ordering a relay (which is what I did and it's sitting on my work bench, all lonely and unused).

It's a $2 fix, and you'll need 30a fuses for these things anyway.

Thats good to know. I'll go out tomorrow and buy the fuse and try that first. If it is that I need a relay, is that something someone not mechanically inclined can do by herself????

Gertie,

Check the fuse first. No sense in making a trip to the autoparts store if you don't have to.

Also note, the P5 has a separate fuse for L and R head lights. The relay is easy to install. It basically connects part of the headlight assembly directly to the battery so you get more juice.

If you can change a light bulb and chew gum, you can install a relay.

Thanks a bunch! Tomorrow is actually going up t the 40s :) , so I'll be able to check the fuses then. The relay doesn't sound to bad to do. Hey, I was able to finagle those darn HID bulbs in place, I just might be able to anything!

Latest posts

Back