HiBoost Problems

TigrMsP

:
2003.5 MSP
Hey Guys-

Here is where I'm at... I've got the Injen, HiBoost, and GReddy Type-S. I think I might have a couple of the couplings in the wrong spot because my 45 degree L pipe right after the S-pipe keeps popping off. The directions didn't tell what coupling goes where on that side of things.

The way I've got it now is between the S-Pipe and L Shape, it's the short big (not sure of size.. sorry). Then on the other side of the L Shape Pipe, I've got the hump coupling that connects to the BOV casting. Then between the casting and Throttle Body, it's the long big coupling.

Are the short and long couplings in the wrong spot?

Also, when I was testing everything out, somewhere between 3-4k RPM the car would bog really bad.

Right now, I'm using the stock vaccum source for the Type-S, and from what I've been reading, it's better to give it a dedicated vaccum. Can someone point me to a thread or tell me how to go about this?

I worried about what is causing it to bog. It might of been the pipe popping off because it bogged, then the car died. When I looked, the pipe was off.

Also, to run the Type-S, I've seen mixed opinions about running it as-is, or getting the 19mm adapter. Is the adapter what makes the BOV recirculate?

This is a good learning experience for me, which is why I'm working through it and not having it installed. I'm just getting tired and slightly frustrated.

Any/All help, advice, opinions would be appreciated. If I need to get pics of it, let me know.

**EDIT: Even though I ordered the Type-S upgrade from Hiboost, am I still supposed to get the HKS BOV also? Or no? I didn't get both, just the type-s, and wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
Jake

Last edited:
You probably should try some T-Bolt clamps...you can get some at Napa just bring your hose and check for fitment. Also with Type-S if you are running open vent and not recirc then you will get a little bit of bogging and stalling. I have both the Type-S and HKS valve and I put the HKS back on and recirc it and car runs great. I plan on getting the recirc fitting for the Type-S and put it back on.

that sucks. I always believe in great customer service, but some people are a little bit slower i guess.

The 19mm adapter is not needed to recirculate. What it does is change the outlet diameter to match the inlet nipple on your Injen. It's not necessary, you could get a reducer hose to go from the stock outlet on your greddy (I think it's around 30mm) to the size on your injen or stock pipe (19mm). But if you get the adapter you can just get one sigle piece of 19mm silicon hose and connect the outlet and inlet. it really only gives you a cleaner looking install.

If you get the adapter, attach it, but don't recirculate it will change the sound of your greddy. You will loose the screech/whine noise and only get a rush of air. it also decrease the overall sound volume.

ARunto - Can you post up an updated pic of you install so I can compare the couplings? I saw your original post, but since you moved some stuff around. I do better having something to go by.

Here's the pics off the couplers on the cold side 2.5"

couple01.JPG

couple02.JPG

Hope that helps

-Alan

Thanks bud! I've got 2 in the wrong spot. I've got the short one down at the bottom between the S-Pipe and 45 degree L shape pipe. And the longer one between the casting and the TB. I'll get those swapped out when i get a chance.... That must be the reason I keep popping that one of the pipes that is connected to the short coupler... WRONG SPOT. DOH!

The instructions didn't say which to use there, Maybe that's a spot of the guide that Juan can polish up.

Thanks again.. and BTW, I'm going to check at NAPA today for the T-Connectors, but if they don't have any, where can I get a set online?

Update:

I got all the couplings in the right spots, and now everything is running smoothly. I need to play around with the BOV settings some. Any shifts below 4k I get turkey. Over 4k, just a slight turkey, then a loud PSSSSTT. Just a word to those getting this kit: make sure the couplings are in the right spot!

I'll probably go ahead and order some T-bolt clamps and the 19mm adaptor to play around with.

I want to experiment with different setups for the best sound and drivability. Right now the only time I have stalling issues is if I rev it up higher to 4k, or if I shift to neutral when I'm about 3.5k or so.

Where can I turn the idle RPM's up at? Is it the hex screw on the TB?

Back