Hi! New Here...

offset_98

Hey all, just thought I'd stop by. My wife and I are thinking about getting a CX-7. We've narrowed it down to it and a CR-V and I think we're both leaning toward the CX-7. I can't figure out if I want a Touring 2WD or a Sport AWD.

My only concern with this car is longevity of this turbo charged engine. Gas mileage isn't too much of an issue...we're selling out 1996 Explorer that gets only 15-17 mpg anyway.

Where's everyone going for the good deals? We're looking to buy not lease. California? Arizona? We're in Las Vegas.

Thanks all!

Well, we all know the CX7 tops the CRV in performance & looks. You get more veh for the $$$. The CX7 have more on features, and the only plus i see for the CRv is the mpg, and the Honda reputation... You will definitely have more fun with the CX7 with the standard turbo, and Mazda is also up there when it comes to competition and reputation. (enguard)
Currently in SoCal, specials is 4k off msrp. Touring models are around 26k.
What can i say the CX7 (first)
Good Luck to you.

I looked closely at the CR-V myself and it was a close race for a while. Little things were missing... like no automatic headlights, no keyless entry/start, no power seats, no climate control. The interior just didn't impress me, even with the top-of-the-line aftermarket nav system they had installed in the one I test drove. It just looked cheap to me... but at a higher price tag!

Ultimately, I thought the engine power was okay, but I could see why some reviews say passing on the highway causes the CR-V to struggle a bit. It's a lot of car to be pulling with a 4 cylinder that does NOT have turbo and only 166 horses.

It did have a bit more cargo space and those reclining back seats are a nice feature, but ultimately the looks and "fun factor" of the CX-7 won me over. I'll be picking mine up tomorrow or Wednesday!

Good luck in your decision!

Welcome! My wife and I have had our 7 since Aug and have no complaints. We got the sport FWD and paid 22k OTD. Our only gripe so far is the slight vibration when on the highway from the transmission. Almost like the car cannot decide between 5-6th gear. Going in for oil change this weekend so will check it out.

offset_98 said:
Hey all, just thought I'd stop by. My wife and I are thinking about getting a CX-7. We've narrowed it down to it and a CR-V and I think we're both leaning toward the CX-7. I can't figure out if I want a Touring 2WD or a Sport AWD.

My only concern with this car is longevity of this turbo charged engine. Gas mileage isn't too much of an issue...we're selling out 1996 Explorer that gets only 15-17 mpg anyway.

Where's everyone going for the good deals? We're looking to buy not lease. California? Arizona? We're in Las Vegas.

Thanks all!
I would stick with FWD based on where you live, I live in the DC area and I was told by the dealer that I wouldn't need AWD unless I lived in NY. I went Touring.

LOL I live in NY (Long Island) and went FWD. Grand Touring here.

I had the option with my last car (Toyota Matrix) to get their AWD version (which was available in 2005)... and I went FWD. I NEVER regretted it. Even in a blizzard I felt confident with the FWD, and you'll get better fuel economy.

yea well really you're only screwed if you get rwd...like my last car...I'm an idiot for that... stupid coupe

Thanks for the replys everyone! I checked both out at the autoshow this past weekend and I like the CX7. My wife wasn't with me so I'll have to get her opinion later. I like the way it sat and it seemed to me that even though the vehicle I was sitting it was a touring it had a two-tone dash. All the pictures I've ever seen had a plain, one color dash. I liked the two tone and I know it wasn't a GT because it didn't have the stripe down the seats.

As for the FWD/AWD...Its 85% sure I'll be transferred to the New England area in 2 years. Coming from Chicago originally, and Buffalo before that I think we'll be ok w/ FWD but I'm still debating.

Hopefully we can get one out for a test drive this weekend. Purchase time will probably be end of January - beginning of February so I have plenty of time to play the numbers game with the dealer on both the new car and my '96 Explorer...with 180k on the clock. :)

Just my 2 cents, I work on vehicles for a living and I have driven a lot of cr-v's and I have never been impressed with any of them. Since it's a Honda it is just like the rest of them(minus Si),very bland. But also being a honda you can't go wrong. I havent driven a cx-7 but from what I've seen of them I have been impressed and being a mazda fan I would recommend it since I've enjoyed every mazda I've owned. Actually I had to pick between honda civic and mazda6 for my wife and ended up with the 6 because of more power, better handling, larger vehicle, more vehicle for money, better interior, better looks, and fun to drive!! It all up to you though.

CX7 hands down......CRV is just ok.....I feel it is bland and boring......in long run you will enjoy driving the CX 7 much more! AWD will not be as good on the gas, but if you are in an area which gets alot of snow.....on the streets....than consider it. I am in Chicago.....not worried about not having AWD....rare to get a snow that we really need it....say 6 times a year maybe?? May have a couple more issues than CRV since it is a first year car but nothing too serious....a few ecu flashes can fix it. It's fun customizing it too! Good luck with your decision!

offset_98 said:
As for the FWD/AWD...Its 85% sure I'll be transferred to the New England area in 2 years. Coming from Chicago originally, and Buffalo before that I think we'll be ok w/ FWD but I'm still debating.

Look at it this way...if you're going to NE, the AWD will have a higher resale value there. Go as big as your budget will allow.

Personally, I went AWD because this is my "bad weather" vehicle. While I think the Miata would do fine in the snow (with proper tires), getting hit by a driver who thinks that AWD = All Wheel Stop would result in being punted into the next state. (shocked)

A lot of good arguments...we'll drive it Saturday and see what we think. After sitting in everything but the Edge at the autoshow this weekend I liked the CX-7 the best (thats in my budget). The CR-V, while roomy for me (6'1" 240) in the back was pretty plain-jane up front. The CX-7 didn't have the leg room in back but most everyone I know is smaller than me anyway. The more I read on the forum here about the CX the more I want it.

offset_98 said:
A lot of good arguments...we'll drive it Saturday and see what we think. After sitting in everything but the Edge at the autoshow this weekend I liked the CX-7 the best (thats in my budget). The CR-V, while roomy for me (6'1" 240) in the back was pretty plain-jane up front. The CX-7 didn't have the leg room in back but most everyone I know is smaller than me anyway. The more I read on the forum here about the CX the more I want it.

I drove a 2006 CR-V (a rental) for a couple of weeks before buying my CX-7. I know they've completely redesigned it, but for what its worth the CR-V wasn't much fun to drive. Purely functional.

I'm sure the Honda is a great car and all, but I needed something fun AND functional. :D I'm loving my new CX-7!

I have the Touring model w/AWD and we live in NC. We got it because we get snow and ice here occasionally. Our RX-8 will not move out of the garage if we get any of that. Also my interior is two-tone because we have the sand interior.
I would say get what you want the most. If you want specific things I would recommend calling customer service and have them track you down what you want ... I did .... the number is 1-800-639-1000. Had to have mine shipped from Atlanta, GA.
Good luck!

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
t-rex said:
I have the Touring model w/AWD and we live in NC. We got it because we get snow and ice here occasionally. Our RX-8 will not move out of the garage if we get any of that. Also my interior is two-tone because we have the sand interior.
I would say get what you want the most. If you want specific things I would recommend calling customer service and have them track you down what you want ... I did .... the number is 1-800-639-1000. Had to have mine shipped from Atlanta, GA.
Good luck!

Did you have to pay extra at your dealership when using the 800 number to get what you wanted? We're getting pretty specific now and my wife and I decided that for $500 difference between the Touring and GT with the options we wanted we decided to pop for the GT FWD. Question is how we'll get the color we want and options we want.

Hey, had my CX-7 sport fwd for about a month now and just had my first big drive through a snowstorm. The CX-7 is incredibly well balanced for bad weather driving and I found that with it's traction control and ABS, I got along just fine without awd, despite the 8" of snow that fell on me through the day.

I moved to the CX-7 myself because after 10 years of driving a Miata, and and owning only other sport/sporty cars before that, I didn't want to sacrifice any more of the driving experience than neccessary but I needed a larger vehicle for various reasons. I wasn't interested in the CRV cause like almost all Hondas it just seems like transportation. Reliable but unemotionally satisfying transportation. I really considered an RX-8, GTO and Mustang GT but gave up on those in main part because my 10 year old could barely fit in the back. Trust me, in the middle of that snowstorm I was really happy I was in the CX-7 and not one of those.

offset_98 said:
Did you have to pay extra at your dealership when using the 800 number to get what you wanted? We're getting pretty specific now and my wife and I decided that for $500 difference between the Touring and GT with the options we wanted we decided to pop for the GT FWD. Question is how we'll get the color we want and options we want.

Generally, a dealer will do a trade with another dealer at no cost to you, but if you want a really popular color and/or trim level, you might have to pay a premium.

You can go to mazdausa.com and search any dealer's inventory. I did, found what I wanted, got bids via email from the dealers, and took the lowest price (1% over invoice), then drove my trade-in 150 miles to get it (at Bommarito Mazda in St. Peters, MO). Of course, they bought my Santa Fe sight-unseen, and I didn't get what I wanted, but it was in-line with what Edmonds said it was worth. No haggle, no stress, got exactly the CX-7 I wanted.

FWIW, I've heard that the week between Christmas and New Year's is the best time to buy a new car, because they're trying to hit monthly and yearly sales goals. I couldn't stand the Santa Fe any longer, but you're timing it right.

offset_98 said:

I actually had my Credit Union Auto Buying service do all the work for me after I called customer service. They delivered it right to my door so I didn't step foot in a dealership. What azcat did would probably work for you too. I probably didn't get the best deal, because the car had only been out about 2 months. So 1% over invoice is probably a good deal. I didn't go with the GT because I didn't like the stripe down the middle of the seat....I know I know... kinda silly. Also, the price difference between the Touring and GT when I was looking was about $1000 more. The only thing I wasn't able to get were fog lights and I can add those on later. The AWD, the Copper Red, and technology package were the must haves when I called them. Good luck!

Ok guys...we did it! We picked up a Copper Red GT w/ tan interior, w/ moonroof/bose package, mirror w/ compass and homelink, tinted windows and some BS paint protector. We really wanted all black inside but settled on tan b/c of the deal we got. Got it all for $26,800 + TTL. We love it and think we got a really good deal on it. I beat the crap out of 4 different sales guys for 5 1/2 hours and even got $2,000 for my beat to hell '96 Explorer w/ 180k on the clock. We also picked up some kind of deal Mazda was running...3.9% for 60 months. They never even told us about that until the deal was done and they were half way through credit. You'd think that'd be a selling point for them.

offset_98 said:
Ok guys...we did it! We picked up a Copper Red GT w/ tan interior, w/ moonroof/bose package, mirror w/ compass and homelink, tinted windows and some BS paint protector. We really wanted all black inside but settled on tan b/c of the deal we got. Got it all for $26,800 + TTL. We love it and think we got a really good deal on it. I beat the crap out of 4 different sales guys for 5 1/2 hours and even got $2,000 for my beat to hell '96 Explorer w/ 180k on the clock. We also picked up some kind of deal Mazda was running...3.9% for 60 months. They never even told us about that until the deal was done and they were half way through credit. You'd think that'd be a selling point for them.

Congrats! Great color choice, but like t-rex, I didn't like the stripe in the seat, so I held out for all black inside. My dealer said that Mazda was really pushing the sand interiors and that black is hard to get.

Heck of a deal, too. All wheel or front wheel drive?

Back