Here's why you buy snow tires

The stock tires are NOT meant for winter driving...period. In fact, they aren't even that good in wet conditions during the summer. Save up and buy some winter tires.

Sucks brother.

R

dude, I was afraid of that, that's why I shouted out 1200 bucks for a new setup for winter. SO glad that I did. SORRY about your ride bro.

Money to buy a >$20k car... but not a few hundred for snow tires? Wonder what your deductible is.

Car payment takes up most of my money. People have bills. It's also Christmas time and I dipped a bit low into my account for it. I wasnt counting on the stock tires being worse than useless in the snow. Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

Oh, and it's 500$. Not enough for a decent set of snow tires and rims to wrap them on. This car is my baby, I'm not settling for second best. Had no idea the first snowfall of the season would be all it took to destroy it :/

Yeah it happened in waukegan, northpoint business center near where Lakehurst used to be. Shoot me a pm with more info on those wheels/tires?

Car payment takes up most of my money. People have bills. It's also Christmas time and I dipped a bit low into my account for it. I wasnt counting on the stock tires being worse than useless in the snow. Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

For once I wasn't being sarcastic, was just playing Monday Morning Quarterback. But hey, lesson learned, right?

The MS3 on (4) 215/45R18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 are well worth the extra change. I have a jeep wrangler (basically a John Deere tracker with bumpers) and I will omit, after getting caught in this past weekend snow dump (8 to 16 inches depending on where you lived) I had to drive home from work in some nasty stuff - no plows, no lanes visible (on a 3 lane highway), temps in the 20's with limited visibility and the car handled wonderfully. I was passing 4x4 vehicles and had as much traction in the MS3 as I do in the John Deere. I am now going to swap out the wife’s all seasons for winter tires.

Breaks my heart to see your Speed after being wrapped around a pole. Truly sucks!

Bummer. well, lesson learned I suppose. No matter what the cause, it always hurts to have your car damaged. Hope it gets fixed quickly for you and that everything functions like normal after.

one thing my dad used to make me do when i first started driving is take the car out in the snow or ice in our sparsely populated developement and see what it feels like to lock up the brakes, or feel ABS with an equipped car. knowledge is power i guess, and it helped a lot. i still do a stop test on iffy days no matter what car im driving, just to see how bad the road slickness is

+1000! It makes my GF hella nervous but what you gonna do? You have to know your environment.

Yeah, but I was at work. This is the only car I have available to me, and I didn't have any money for snow tires. I wasn't blaming the tires, I was blaming the electronics, fyi :p The tires are pretty horrible for driving in the snow, and with the amount that we get here in Chicago, I am justified in blaming them if I so choose to. They're complete and utter RUBBISH in the snow. I got next to no traction, and could barely get above 30mph in general. On a highway. Going in a straight line.

EDIT: I've also been driving in the snow for 8 years, a few of which were in a slammed, heavily modded 240SX. That's RWD, with no ABS, no traction control, and summer tires as well. I did just fine in that car since it wasn't fighting me when I tried to correct. I would have taken the car out to learn how it drove in the snow, but like I said, I was at work. I didn't really have time to go and play. I honestly don't think it was any one thing, it was a combination of the car, my driving, and the conditions on the road. s*** happens.

You are a perfect example of people trying to cheap out and paying for it. When you bought the car you should have known that the tires were summer only. You should have budgeted tires in having known about this. If you couldn't afford the proper tires, you should re-think your priorities and buy a car in your budget (one in which you can afford repairs, insurance, and SNOW TIRES).

Hell, since you like to gamble just drive without insurance. At least then you could've afforded snow tires. Now you get to pay your deductible and perhaps an insurance rate increase.

Sorry you're the horse to beat but I get sick and tired hearing people's excuses and rationalizations. There really is no excuse for avoiding obvious safety precautions. If you slid into me and I saw your car NEW car had summer tires on it I would be tempted to do more damage to you or your car. (deadhorse

Hopefully now some people can learn from your mistake. That said I'm sure there will be bone-heads that keep insisting they know better than all of man's aquired wisdom and knowledge gleened throughout the millenia ....

You are a perfect example of people trying to cheap out and paying for it. When you bought the car you should have known that the tires were summer only. You should have budgeted tires in having known about this. If you couldn't afford the proper tires, you should re-think your priorities and buy a car in your budget (one in which you can afford repairs, insurance, and SNOW TIRES).

Hell, since you like to gamble just drive without insurance. At least then you could've afforded snow tires. Now you get to pay your deductible and perhaps an insurance rate increase.

Sorry you're the horse to beat but I get sick and tired hearing people's excuses and rationalizations. There really is no excuse for avoiding obvious safety precautions. If you slid into me and I saw your car NEW car had summer tires on it I would be tempted to do more damage to you or your car. (deadhorse

Hopefully now some people can learn from your mistake. That said I'm sure there will be bone-heads that keep insisting they know better than all of man's aquired wisdom and knowledge gleened throughout the millenia ....

First, I was planning on buying snow tires. It was in the budget, and they were going to be ordered right about now once Christmas expenses were covered. s*** happens, plans change. My budget isn't exactly going the way I had planned when I bought the car. The economy is s*** right now.

Second, it's easy to point and laugh when it wasn't you who it happened to. I'd really love to see how you'd react if it was YOUR car that hit the pole. I made a mistake, I should have bought snow tires sooner. I've said that. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm sharing a story. Get over yourself.

How about, "but the TIRES basically said, "Nah, I'm not gonna let you do that."???????? (headshake

Tires don't cut throttle when you try to accelerate :p

Tires don't cut throttle when you try to accelerate :p

When your tail end breaks loose and you're sliding into a pole, chances are throttle, brake, e-brake, TCS or lack of etc. aren't going to save you.

Well I'm glad you're getting your priorities straight now. Good luck.

Back