100_7589.jpg

100_7590.jpg

100_7591.jpg

100_7592.jpg

100_7593.jpg

hit a pole going around an s-curve onramp :\

Here's the pole:

Picture095.jpg

Tons of damage to the right suspension setup.

In the shop till the 24th. Hope it still drives the same after this...

(p.s. pics taken by the insurance company. Unsure what the heck the pen is doing there o_O)

Last edited:
Wouldn't think of driving my Speed3 in the New England winter without my snow tires.

My Blizzaks work great in the white stuff..

I made it through last winter with some white nuckle driving in the snow w/ oe tires, this year i bought blizzaks and I'm extremely pleased, especially after the 7 inches we just got last friday
---
good luck!

I made it through last winter with some white nuckle driving in the snow w/ oe tires, this year i bought blizzaks and I'm extremely pleased, especially after the 7 inches we just got last friday
---
good luck!

Blizzaks are already on order, just have to wait to get the car back and something to wrap them on. Anyone have any stock M3 wheels or MS6 wheels? :p

I feel your pain. How fast were you going? I did almost the same thing to my 11 month year old Honda S2000 a few years back ~ $4,500 worth of damage. Luckily the car didn't have suspension damage, just body. Coincidentally, that car had Potenza RE050's also. These tires are suicide in the snow and they even have traction issues on dry pavement in below freezing temps. Lots of people like to roll the dice and don't think it's worth buying a cheap set of wheels with winter tires for this car, but all it takes is an inch of snow from one snow event and a little too much speed. I once crawled my way around a parking lot with the S2000, went around a turn with a slight incline and the whole ass end came right around and I was facing the opposite direction. I wasn't even on the gas. Just coasting around the turn at no more than 5mph. These tires absolutely suck in the snow. You may as well put Hoosiers on the car.

At this point, I'm fairly convinced it was the onboard TCS/DSC that crashed me. I was going maybe 20mph through a business center. There's a double s-curve before an onramp onto a highway at the end, and I was going around that. Turned left to complete the first s-curve and just didn't turn, so I tapped the brakes and that kicked the rear end out, sending me sliding on pretty much pure ice. I knew I was headed for the pole, so I turned away from it and gassed trying to get at least a little bit out of the way, but the car basically said "Nah, I'm not gonna let you do that."

Was probably going 15-20 when I hit the pole, and it cause about $3,200 worth of damage. Boy am I glad I got decent insurance on this :p

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty terrified that the car will never drive the same again. Everyone I talk to about it keeps telling me it won't, but I'd like to hold on to at least SOME shred of hope :x

i realize that the stock tires aren't all-weather, but you can't really put all the blame on them. for instance, if you didn't have to be out driving with snow on the roads then you shouldn't have, or you coulda taken a different vehicle that is better equipped for snowy situtations. or even you could have tested out how bad the car handles in the snow at some safer area.

this is stuff that insurance might be thinking about...not trying to say that your decision making is bad

one thing my dad used to make me do when i first started driving is take the car out in the snow or ice in our sparsely populated developement and see what it feels like to lock up the brakes, or feel ABS with an equipped car. knowledge is power i guess, and it helped a lot. i still do a stop test on iffy days no matter what car im driving, just to see how bad the road slickness is

Yeah, but I was at work. This is the only car I have available to me, and I didn't have any money for snow tires. I wasn't blaming the tires, I was blaming the electronics, fyi :p The tires are pretty horrible for driving in the snow, and with the amount that we get here in Chicago, I am justified in blaming them if I so choose to. They're complete and utter RUBBISH in the snow. I got next to no traction, and could barely get above 30mph in general. On a highway. Going in a straight line.

EDIT: I've also been driving in the snow for 8 years, a few of which were in a slammed, heavily modded 240SX. That's RWD, with no ABS, no traction control, and summer tires as well. I did just fine in that car since it wasn't fighting me when I tried to correct. I would have taken the car out to learn how it drove in the snow, but like I said, I was at work. I didn't really have time to go and play. I honestly don't think it was any one thing, it was a combination of the car, my driving, and the conditions on the road. s*** happens.

Last edited:
or holding something open for a better look...

man, being from florida and now texas... i REFUSE to drive on icey roads... i have done it... in an old beater in colorado, and it was fun, cuz the car was a 'winter beater' (i do suck at it, however... chronic curb nailer)... but if we get that here in texas, you are better off staying in the house... you might be the best snow/ice driver in the world, but you don't stand a chance against the other million 'first timers' around here... INSANITY.

i hope your car can be fixed correctly... that really sucks.

right around this time last season i hit a pole in my work lot...they didnt salt...and i had snow tires...same corner...same black mica...only my damage was worse...that headlight housing is expensive (HID) no suspension damage tho. also from IL.

man was i pissed off. snow tires cant stop you on sheer ice...they will only help alil...still pissed tho

Back