Here to Learn!

Merrilin

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Proteg
Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this forum the other day (while researching why the hell the stock wastegate actuator costs so much) and decided I'd join and maybe learn something. I've had my Mazdaspeed Protege for about 7 months, and I love my car. I got it used at 84k. Everything is stock except for a turbo timer, but I hope to learn here and perhaps mess with some light mods (intake, exhaust, intercooler etc.) and maybe try to do something about my annoyingly squeaky suspension (only in warm weather?).

My knowledge of engines is limited, and I've never actually installed anything myself, but I'd like to learn how. I don't want to beat my car up, though; it's driven frequently and I want it to last. I've already put 10k on it. Also, with school full time and a job on the weekend, I don't have much time or money for hobbies, but I try to make room.

I have two issues to start: Recently when driving full throttle, there will be a sudden loss of power and my car will jerk, almost as if I popped the clutch in and out. This has happened about 3 times. Could this have anything to do with my wastegate actuator? According to my mechanic, that was what is causing my check engine light to freak out from time to time. I'm thinking about replacing it with this as I'm not planning on messing with my turbo that much anyway. Is this something that can be installed by a complete noob, or should I just have a mechanic do it?
Also, my check engine light was flashing for about a day earlier this month. How bad is that?

welcome, youve came to the right forum to learn about the MSP. Ive learned tons of things from here. The first problem you are experiencing to me seems like fuel cut. Its caused from poor tuning from the factory, buying a SS afc or unichip should fix it.

Last edited:
Because its a Mazda part and adjustable. ATP is a common replacement option for less than $80 but it has a fixed WGA rod. Multiple or random misfires detected will cause your blinking CEL. If you still have cats you can damage them running that way. Coilpacks, wires and plugs would be things to check and replace. All three are easy DIY items. WGA is a little more challenging but also doable. Check the how to section or just post up when you are ready to go for further assistance.

Welcome!

I have two issues to start: Recently when driving full throttle, there will be a sudden loss of power and my car will jerk, almost as if I popped the clutch in and out. This has happened about 3 times. Could this have anything to do with my wastegate actuator? According to my mechanic, that was what is causing my check engine light to freak out from time to time. I'm thinking about replacing it with this as I'm not planning on messing with my turbo that much anyway. Is this something that can be installed by a complete noob, or should I just have a mechanic do it? Also, my check engine light was flashing for about a day earlier this month. How bad is that?

Only way to fix the hesitation is getting the UNICHIP or SSAFC, because I've tried just about everything you could imagine with out a tune and to this day it still stops between 3k - 4k rpm. You WGA (waste gate actuator) will NOT fix this, but it is good to replace it if it hasn't been already (especially in your case, just under 100k miles). You shouldn't have a problem installing it yourself. Just take the hot pipe off of the SMIC (Side Mount Intercooler), but be careful not to break the nipple or that's a whole other problem. Then you'll have lots of room to get to your WGA and mess around with it.

Just go to your nearest Auto Zone and let them know you have a check engine light and they'll go to your car and print you out a paper of what the causes may be. Then just post back on the forums of what the slip of paper says and I'm sure someone on this forum will have a good idea of what it might be :)

Hope this helps and congratz on your ride.

Last edited:
Welcome!

But you have a fuelcut. Happens when temp. outside is around 30-40 degrees. Goes away in the summer. And that is most likely the cause of the CEL cause that's why I had mine every year around this time.

Welcome!

But you have a fuelcut. Happens when temp. outside is around 30-40 degrees. Goes away in the summer. And that is most likely the cause of the CEL cause that's why I had mine every year around this time.

Might have a plug problem too. I changed mine 2 years ago because of hesitation and found that 2 of the plugs had no tips at all and the other 2 were toast. There is really no reason to change out wires unless there is a connection problem. Wires don't usually go bad, just a gimick to get you to buy something else when you go to a parts store. Believe me I use to work at AutoZone.

Welcome. My advice on working on cars is get you a good buddy to help make things run smoother. New greasy bushings for the sway bar might help with the squeaking (I have some brand new in the package) and if you want a wastegate I have a used atp if you want it.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all of the helpful responses. I already like it here.

I'll try replacing my plugs - I need to that anyway. There is no reason for anything but standard plugs unless I'm increasing turbo pressure, correct? That's another thing I'm fuzzy about - what upgraded parts will really make a difference for a casual driver - although I can see that the many guides on this site will be helpful.

NocturnalSpeed - yes, I'm replacing the WGA anyway. I'm told that's what's causing the CEL.

I'll keep poking through the forums for more info and post if I have more questions. Thanks.

Back