Help

peterc4

:
premacy
Hi All
please see pic, does any body know what this is and what it does, i caught it on an old dirt track and loosened it so i had to take it off, it was towards the rear of the car underneath, i have a 2006 manual mazda 5. thanks

20160203_172356_zpsno2q3wad.jpg

It isn't what I would call "essential" That looks like the largest of the heat shields, the one that covers the exhaust manifold over the rear of the engine. It helps reduce the transfer of heat from the engine into the passenger compartment. I have been running mine without any heat shields at all for almost three years and can't really tell any difference.

Looks like its not a terribly expensive piece. I believe it is part number C23556451A.

See it in the diagram at the top of this page as (NO 3).
http://parts.panamacitymazda.com/a/...663563/5390A----FLOOR-ATTACHMENT/3C00JJ2.html
3C00JJ2.jpg

As mentioned above, it's a heat shield designed to keep the heat of the exhaust from getting to the cabin of the vehicle - in this case, it looks like the floor somewhere around the second row seats. Probably not a big deal unless you leave things on the floorin that area that might be sensitive to excessive heat or maybe passengers might comment on it if they're barefoot. But if this was knocked off, I'd take a closer look for other damage. At least you have a good idea of where to look now.

Last edited:
That's the good heat shield. The one over the resonator. The rest are made of aluminum foil loosely glued to fiberglass insulation. I think the exhaust would have to be dropped to put this one on.

Back