Help with exhaust please

:
2005 Premium White Pearl RSX Type-S
First off some of my questions may be dumb but if I don't ask then I'll never know. I want a turbo-back exhaust but can't afford one, maybe I should just get a downpipe and leave it at that for now. But if I get a turbo back system that includes the downpipe right? Maybe just a downpipe, high-flow cat, custom piping the rest of the way and a muffler? Do you think that would be cheaper than a turbo back system? How much more power will I get out of a true turbo back, than a setup like that? Thanks!(cheers2)

chillinmcmillan - if you can't afford the whole true full turbo-back at once, I would suggest you just keep saving. It is not cost effective to try a temporary solution especially when you factor in the labour costs as well.

Dont listen to iON. No offense to them, they make great products, however there are other options out there. I have a downpipe from Apex, cost me 299. I then purchased a Magnaflow Muffler with 4in tip and had a local muffler shop run pipes from my apex DP to my muffler. Total cost for the muffler was 85, total cost for the pipes was 175. No it isnt mandrel bent, but its total was around 560 bucks. Maybe iON's full turbo back puts down 22whp gains (in some cases) but at a cost of 1200-1400 i can get alot more HP with that additional 850 bucks.

Granted i still have the stock S-Pipe(iON's turbo back replaces this piece), however there is a thread on this forum regarding someone having a custom DP made that will be a real "turbo back" down pipe. Meaning it will replace the s-pipe and go all the way back to where your "cat back" exhaust would bolt on. I am in on that GB and i will sell my Apex one i get this new down pipe.

I think once i have a TRUE turbo back exhaust, i will be close enough to iON's numbers (i will get it dynoed, but I'm hoping for around 15-18whp gains) Considering Apex's downpipe claims 10-12whp gains, i think with a replaced S-Pipe i can easily attain these goals, and have spent less than 1/2 of what i would have spent on iON's exhaust.

Last edited:
mattybo<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1036417", true); </SCRIPT> - You maybe mis-interpreting the advice. Given that he wants to have a full turbo-back system in the end; it just doesn't make sense to be wasting money for a mediocre solution.

FYI, even the Corksport system which has mandrel bends etc only made 13whp (and that's without cats!)... a crush bent system you're looking at ~80% of the performance potential. Our system made 22whp @ stock boost with a 3" hi-flow cat in place. Replace the hi-flow cat section with our race-pipe and there's another 7whp more @ stock boost).

Well i wouldnt call it a mediocre solution. I bet with a turbo back downpipe (hopefully will be finished soon) and my custom exhaust already in place....i will see around 20-25whp. Maybe your exhaust will make a couple more horsies but i would rather save 850 bucks for a unichip or something like that...

iON Performance said:
chillinmcmillan - if you can't afford the whole true full turbo-back at once, I would suggest you just keep saving. It is not cost effective to try a temporary solution especially when you factor in the labour costs as well.
whats not cost effective is dealing with Ion. I paid $1024.00 in Nov. 03 and here we are in June 04 and I have nothing to show for it.

jrod1019 said:
whats not cost effective is dealing with Ion. I paid $1024.00 in Nov. 03 and here we are in June 04 and I have nothing to show for it.

yea and not to mention you will have problems like this ^^^ poor guy :(

mattybo said:
Well i wouldnt call it a mediocre solution. I bet with a turbo back downpipe (hopefully will be finished soon) and my custom exhaust already in place....i will see around 20-25whp. Maybe your exhaust will make a couple more horsies but i would rather save 850 bucks for a unichip or something like that...
u cant put a price on all the bull s*** ive felt, good thing he is far away from where i live. jose

mattybo - The point is this. If you want to go from A->B, why would you go from A->C->B? Also, @ what boost levels are you hoping to achieve this 20-25whp? If you want the warranty on the vehicle to be void, then yes your option is totally viable. If you want to still be in warranty, then it won't be as viable.
jrod1019<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1036454", true); </SCRIPT> - Jose, you knew yours was a one-off system and we still honored you the pre-sale pricing that would've required 10 people. Also, the system was absolutely fine if you had adjusted the front flange on the cat section which is mobile to make it parallel to the front flange to bolt-up.

ion if the flange is perfectly fine then why has it taken you guys almost two months to return it to him?

more fuel to the fire!

iON Performance said:
FYI, even the Corksport system which has mandrel bends etc only made 13whp (and that's without cats!)... a crush bent system you're looking at ~80% of the performance potential. Our system made 22whp @ stock boost with a 3" hi-flow cat in place. Replace the hi-flow cat section with our race-pipe and there's another 7whp more @ stock boost).
But Corksport's exhaust is using the stock downpipe... and the price is around $400. $600+ for 9 hp? I'm sure the iON stuff is great quality, but we all now how difficult it was to actually get the product, and the price is premium to say the least. Since this thread is about working with limited funds, I'd say there are better options than iON.

*Cross your fingers and hope that Corksport makes a downpipe for their power series exhaust.*

Last edited:
iON,

It takes me about 3 minutes to remove my boost controller, so yes i can still keep my warranty. And considering the Apex DP says 10-12 WHP on stock boost, i would imagine i can yeild an extra 5-10 by replacing my stock s-pipe with a larger diameter "downpipe". Also, having larger diameter exhaust piping and a higher flowing muffler will help as well.

It is possible, and isn't an unattainable idea. I know you are a business and want to make money, but please stop with your inaccurate comments. I am no expert, however i have worked on cars for many years (including my ls/vtec integra) and was also on the FSAE race team for the university of maryland. I am not talking out of my ass....

Just stop trying to act like no one will be able to achieve your results UNLESS they purchase your exhaust, because i guarantee you I will come close to your results and have spent less than 1/2 of what your exhaust costs.

Last edited:
tekkie - currently waiting for a 2nd stock MSP to confirm the alterations to give more "play". FYI, the cat section didn't arrive back to us until May 6th; @ which point in time we had explicitly said that the soonest it could be looked at was the 11th due to a 4 day event.

mattybo<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1036498", true); </SCRIPT> - You have totally missed the boat on the point. The question was what he should do in the mean time as he wants to get a full turbo-back down the line. (he didn't not specify whos; nor are we telling him to buy ours)
FYI, any boost controller requires you to tap in-line between the WG and the signal. Dealerships that see this automatically know that boost has been tampered. (there is also indicator paint on the WG actuator nut to see if there has been any mechanical tampering).
This is in no attemps to undermine your experience; this is basically laying out the reason why to just save up and do things all at once and do it right the first time.

jrod, shut up. I'm sorry you think you're being screwed, but stop coming into every one of the threads iON posts in and bashing them. You already have a whole thread dedicated to it, that's enough. No one wants to read that crap every second, and it detracts from every thread you post in when iON has to defend themselves against you. You have your thread on it, post there.

~brian

conekiller said:
jrod, shut up. I'm sorry you think you're being screwed, but stop coming into every one of the threads iON posts in and bashing them. You already have a whole thread dedicated to it, that's enough. No one wants to read that crap every second, and it detracts from every thread you post in when iON has to defend themselves against you. You have your thread on it, post there.

~brian
you sound like you are a good canidate to place an order with ion- they could use your busines. love jose

jrod1019 said:
you sound like you are a good canidate to place an order with ion- they could use your busines. love jose
You're right, I hopefully will buy something from iON, but that's not that point. The point is it's really annoying having to read your complaints over and over. If you could please stop bashing Jack in every thread he posts in I'd appreciate it, and I'm sure plenty of others would as well. Note: I'm not saying this to protect iON. I think people should always tell others if they feel they're been screwed by a business. It's just annoying to have to read the same thing over and over and over again. We have the vendor review section for a reason.

~brian

iON's stuff is awesome. you're the only one jrod that i've heard had a prob with them so why not settle it on your own case. its amazing iON takes on this mass hysteria. just bringing your s*** up ****** this thread.
conekiller said:

~brian

to install an MBC you remove 1 hose from the T, install that hose on the MBC than run another hose from the MBC to the part of the T with no hose. To remove it, reverse these steps. How can a dealership know that i had one on their if i put it back to how it was?

mattybo said:
to install an MBC you remove 1 hose from the T, install that hose on the MBC than run another hose from the MBC to the part of the T with no hose. To remove it, reverse these steps. How can a dealership know that i had one on their if i put it back to how it was?
A lot of people's wastegate lines have cracked when installing MBC's, and a new line is a dead giveaway that you've been messing with something.

~brian

conekiller said:
A lot of people's wastegate lines have cracked when installing MBC's, and a new line is a dead giveaway that you've been messing with something.

~brian

how can you tell it's a new line? Simply replace it and put that same cover on it....?

Back