help please-broke down

mp3-79bronco

:
2001 protege mp3
hey im on my phone at a parking lot, so searching isnt a option....well i pulled in and right before i turned off the key the car cut off.... i tried to restart and no go...only turns over.... i dont have any tools so i cant tell if its spark, fuel, or both.... i checked all the fuses and they were good...although when i turn the key on no relays click... so what am i lookn at here...also when i turn the key on and all the dash lights come on, the cel one doesnt

check the plug sensor thing that goes into the ODB tester port pull it out them push it back in again.
Was it acting up at all? did you work on it recently

okay guys im home (without my car) i really need help with this...i dont really trust the location i had to leave my car that well....

Battery is obviously fine..cranks like a mofo, but heres what i believe to be the prob...

i dont think i have any power going to the ecu.... when i turn the key one click no relays click, and no cel appears on dash...also none of the other symboled lights on the left come on...the right side does though..

so its got to be a fuse or something right? also what would cause this to all of a sudden happen as im coasting into a spot..?

i have been noticing a bad idle lately...

also i havent messed with any wiring s*** yet either...

reading some posts and i found a dude that said his 2nd o2 shorted out a blew a fuseable link...this may be the case for me also...i f'd up my o2 sensor and wires bad, and i ghetto taped them, but maybe they came loose and caused this....any idea where the fusibile link would be?

did you try my idea? similar thing happened to me twice it was that plug thing

if you checked ALL of your fuses, and they were fine, there's no fuseable link blown..

check the under hood fuses, and the dash ones...

does your fuel pump start up?

no, what obd port are you talkin about? neither of them have a thing that plugs in.

i havent done anything electrical...except the only thing that could have messed up would be the messed up 2nd o2...

also i have no power to the ecu, so no the pump doesnt start...

Ill go check fuses again after school today

Near your left knee while sitting in the drivers seat...here... I took a pic
your won't start without it in place. I take it out when I park as added security. It's like disabling the computer, it can't be started and stolen

Attachments

• IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 125
your won't start without it in place. I take it out when I park as added security. It's like disabling the computer, it can't be started and stolen

i never saw that before (boom07)

you're probably on an aftermarket system..i've never seen that before on a msp.

Its a long shot how about the alarm. They are famous for going bad. Put the key in the drivers door turn twice to the right, then once to the left. This will reset the alarm.

Wow I'm really confused now!! I thought it was stock. In fact when I got the car the whole damn thing was factory bone stock besides the upgraded kenwood head unit.
I wonder what else was done to the car before I got it!!!

It's nice though, When I park it I just pull that plug out and the car won't start at all, it kills the ignition system. All the power works fine though. it's like trying to start the car without pressing the clutch....nothing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you still have the stock security system zuku? cuz when I bought my MSP out of an auction in Michigan, the security sytem was taken out of it, and they ha one of these put in its place... but I got rid of mine and went back to stock... thread jack ended...

Wow I'm really confused now!! I thought it was stock. In fact when I got the car the whole damn thing was factory bone stock besides the upgraded kenwood head unit.
I wonder what else was done to the car before I got it!!!

It's nice though, When I park it I just pull that plug out and the car won't start at all, it kills the ignition system. All the power works fine though. it's like trying to start the car without pressing the clutch....nothing happens.

It's an aftermarket kill switch. I hope you got a car fax report before you purchased it. Makes me wonder what else might be lurking that you don't know about. lol

and dude im sorry but there are so many small problems that coul cause this sudden massive shutown... thats why I have my friends at the local Auto Zone have a diagnostic "accidently" disapear... it really helps out... but since you didnt shoot any coes, I dont think it would do any good, id say its time to go to your trusty volt meter...

It's an aftermarket kill switch. I hope you got a car fax report before you purchased it. Makes me wonder what else might be lurking that you don't know about. lol

serioisly... I bought mine 2 years ago out of impulse, and mainly because I've been looking for an MSP since they came out, just never ha the money... I looked up the car fax and it came up with nothing on it... but after about a month, I noticed shity paint in the rear Quarter panel and un even, so it was Bondoed, and one of the wheels was bent, so now I have a wheel off a titanium from one of my friends on there, so one of the wheels doesnt match... and then I was wiring up my turbo timer and boost controller an gauge, and found the security sysem wires cut and tucked under the steering wheel, and yeah... it was a rough first year of fixing things, but its all good now...

Last edited:
Mine use to do this and it was the alarm as well. Mine was an aftermarket system and it would kill my battery. I ended up ripping the alarm system out; the people who put it in did a horrible job anyhow, as they did not even tape some of their splicing jobs.

Does this event have anything to do with you turboing your car? It must since it happened so close to the installation.

Back