help me anyone

:
Mazda, Speed6
hate norfolk,va. Its drainage is sub-par at best. Anyway I was driving on the curb trying to avoid a deepish puddle and didnt see a 6ft long acess dip in the curb which was covered with water. My car wen't kerplunk in the water and the engine stopped outright. Being very very pissed at this my friends and I pushed the car into a parking lot. I tried starting it but only got a semi-thumping sound from inside the engine and alittle turn-over. I kept at it and was able to get the rpm to 3k then it would stall back out, then 5k and stall back out. Eventualy it started up. CEL was on. and it was spewing white smoke out of the exhaust which went away after a couple of minutes, which i think was the water that was residing in my engine. Now I am super paranoid about my engine and my car. Electronics work fine, the CEL i tried to check but autozone couldn't read it but cleared the CEL accidentily. The CEL came back after about 20 mile and me trying to listen to my engine at higher rpms. Anyone able to tell me what I have done to my poor car? It seems to be running fine but I can't get the CEL checked until tommorow I think. And I listen to the engine and I think I hear a knocking sound under the engines normal *click-click-click-click* sound.

Plz help
Worried about my car

VinnieBeachbum said:
hate norfolk,va. Its drainage is sub-par at best. Anyway I was driving on the curb trying to avoid a deepish puddle and didnt see a 6ft long acess dip in the curb which was covered with water. My car wen't kerplunk in the water and the engine stopped outright. Being very very pissed at this my friends and I pushed the car into a parking lot. I tried starting it but only got a semi-thumping sound from inside the engine and alittle turn-over. I kept at it and was able to get the rpm to 3k then it would stall back out, then 5k and stall back out. Eventualy it started up. CEL was on. and it was spewing white smoke out of the exhaust which went away after a couple of minutes, which i think was the water that was residing in my engine. Now I am super paranoid about my engine and my car. Electronics work fine, the CEL i tried to check but autozone couldn't read it but cleared the CEL accidentily. The CEL came back after about 20 mile and me trying to listen to my engine at higher rpms. Anyone able to tell me what I have done to my poor car? It seems to be running fine but I can't get the CEL checked until tommorow I think. And I listen to the engine and I think I hear a knocking sound under the engines normal *click-click-click-click* sound.

Plz help
Worried about my car
Ah man, you got stuck in all that? I was in Norfolk most of the day and then at th Beach the rest - fortunately we didn't that much flooding here so my P5 made it. Anyway, it definitely sounds like hydrolock and yeah, you probably got most of the water out but I agree with you - you should definitely take it in to get checked out to make sure nothing really serious happened. Not too sure what the clicking would be though... Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

It's a condition called Hydrolock.

When the engine tries to compress water instead of air and fuel.

It's very hard on the rods which were never designed to load that high.

Take it to the dealer.

It's likely that your air meter is somehow needing to be replaced..

Brian MP5T said:
It's a condition called Hydrolock.

When the engine tries to compress water instead of air and fuel.

It's very hard on the rods which were never designed to load that high.

Take it to the dealer.

It's likely that your air meter is somehow needing to be replaced..

I agree. Dont forget that right after your car hit all that water, your air filter became completely soaked. This probably allowed little to no air get into your engine.

You may have gotten lucky and the air filter stopped most of the water from getting into your engine. But I would take it in immediately.

*opinion* I am not sure how they will be able to tell if your rods/valves/pistons are ok without pulling the engine and actually checking. I would also check your warrenty to see if hydrolocking is covered *opinion*.

If it isnt covered, DONT SAY ANYTHING about the incident. If they cant pin it on your driving in a puddle then it may be warrenty work. That could save you a boatload.

Afroman said:
I agree. Dont forget that right after your car hit all that water, your air filter became completely soaked. This probably allowed little to no air get into your engine.

You may have gotten lucky and the air filter stopped most of the water from getting into your engine. But I would take it in immediately.

*opinion* I am not sure how they will be able to tell if your rods/valves/pistons are ok without pulling the engine and actually checking. I would also check your warrenty to see if hydrolocking is covered *opinion*.

If it isnt covered, DONT SAY ANYTHING about the incident. If they cant pin it on your driving in a puddle then it may be warrenty work. That could save you a boatload.

The filter will not stop Squat.

The engine has five times the force of a Shop Vac.

If it wants air. It's gonna get it.. If the filter is full of water, then it' will get water..

Back