Help! Disappearing oil!

Mike R said:
LOL, yes you can. that's an old myth from like 15 years ago. Get with the times.

Synthetic oil is thinner than dino oil, and will leak past seals if you switch to synthetic on a higher mileage engine. However on a newer engine, you can switch back, but synthetic protects better, so there really isnt a good reason to switch back to dino oil.

I never noticed any oil under my car either. Today when I went to change the oil i noticed that the bolt on the oil pan was very oily. It had been leaking i think so I got a rbber washer for it. Now I have no leak.

KyRaceFan said:
Synthetic oil is thinner than dino oil, and will leak past seals if you switch to synthetic on a higher mileage engine. However on a newer engine, you can switch back, but synthetic protects better, so there really isnt a good reason to switch back to dino oil.

from www.amsoil.com

<O:p>
faq_q.gif
Are AMSOIL Motor Oils compatible with other motor oils?

faq_a.gif
Yes. AMSOIL Motor Oils are compatible with all other synthetic or petroleum motor oils.

</O:p>

I think i figured out whats happening to me (and you're probably experiencing the same thing). I did a bit of reading, and when we boost a lot, some oil gets sucked out of the pcv and into the intake. So, there's not much we can do about that but we can get a oil catch can so the dirty oil and/or vapor isn't burned in our engines.
JohnnyB said:
Hey my car seems to have the same problem or (maybe were just crazy.) But Im going to add some oil tomorrow. What kind does it take ...just regular 5w30 ?? It probably says in the manual huh...or on the engine somewhere. Just thought I would ask while Im on here.

just to let you know i was losing a qt a month or so and that was just the beginning, their wasn't any visible signs of burning oil. but 4 mths later my car began to smoke really bad. turns out the turbo ex seal went bad...... so watch out for smoke......

mspdfreak said:
LOL. Yes, beginning Monday, thread requests will need to be made, in writing, to the mods. Upon review by a board of directors, requests will be approved or denied depending on the relavancy of the basis of the thread request. Said request, upon board approval, will then be sent to the administrator. The administrator can then either pass the request, or veto it. Upon passing, the thread request will then arrive on the forum as an official thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

(rofl2) Well done!

joka1 said:
just to let you know i was losing a qt a month or so and that was just the beginning, their wasn't any visible signs of burning oil. but 4 mths later my car began to smoke really bad. turns out the turbo ex seal went bad...... so watch out for smoke......

Was there any signs during the 4 monthes before your car began to smoke really bad? Did you maybe smell something weird in your engine bay or notice anything out of the ordinary?

Back