Help.... Differences in 2.0l motors ?

Jag61180

:
Mazda MP3 Yellow Mica
I have an MP3 which the motor just went kurplunk on me. I picked up another 2.0l motor, which had 14k miles on it, and planned to swap them out. What are the differences in these motors? I noticed a few things off the bat. The cam cover is slightly different, mainly the bolts to hold the plastic MP3 cover and wording on the two. Then the intake is slightly different, the 2002 2.0l has and extra wire or two, confusing. Both motors have the same part numbers, but underneath the cover the cams seam to have different part numbers. Just curious to what I should reuse of my original motor. I know I will use the cam cover, and intake off my original. But what else? Thanks..... Jag

The non-MP3 intake manifold is diff and the ecu is diff. Not sure what else

MP3 intake manifold is missing VTCS butterflies and solenoid, and that's good. You should keep it that way.

I was kind of thinking that. I have not removed my MP3 motor yet, so I have not unbolted the intake either. I unbolted the non-MP3 intake and noticed it had those butterflies but I was unsure if my MP3 did. As I looked at it I thought what a restriction!

The only differences are the intake and the ecu. If the motor went kerplunk, drop in the new block, swap out the ECU and throttle body/intake, and you've got an MP3 motor.

Thanks for the info guys.

Pat, do you want to come over next weekend sometime and help me put the sumabitch in? Remember, you owe me one. I did yo tv's!!!! I will order pizza and pick you up!

oops, I think I remembered something about you not liking to be called Pat. Sorry Patrick....

LinuxRacr said:
Everyone is right above. Just know that my current block came out of a Mazda 626! (eek2)

My brother-in-law has a 97 626 same engine except his has a distrubutor cap...I wonder if the tranny is the same because he wanted to get in on the group buy for the Megan shifter...any extra info would help...

Jeremy

I have no idea. I always ran synthetic oil and checked it regularly. It started using alot of oil, then it used two quarts a day. It blows it out the tailpipe. Now it knocks. I figured someone screwed with my car or something. Seems like a broken piston ring. I will know when I get it out, I will dissasemble it.

LinuxRacr said:
Sorry Jesse, I wasn't able to come over today. Maybe tomorrow.

Thats ok buddy, I am not touching the thing again till next weekend. My spring break starts then so I will have a lot of time to do it.

Awesome! It was cool seeing you out on 67 this weekend. Imagine running into you way out there in Venus Texas. You have to come to some meets man.

I will definately come out, most likely to all of them. When I saw you guys I missed it like you wouldn't believe. My car goes into Clark Bros Paint and Body next week. It will be a couple weeks before I get it back, but when I do its on. I will have no more key marks or scraped up front bumper. I am getting them to reshoot the whole car yellow again. The paint seems to have faded quite a bit over the last two years just sitting there. Let me know when the next meet is.

sounds like ring failure to me... mayeb running too lean from highway cruising??? or just bad rings?

Back