HELP! A Pillar Support?

YellowSpeed17

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow Mica MSP
I just installed my dual gauge pod on my a pillar with the plastic screws that come with it. The only problem is that they don't fit over the metal support that is visible when you take the a pillar off. I took the support off so the a pillar could fit but I don't know if its safe to drive without the support? Heres a pic:
a%20pillar%20support.jpg

Should I put it back on and mount the gauge pod with something else or is it okay to just leave it off? It doesn't look like it makes a difference to me but I don't want anything bad to happen for a stupid reason.

Thanks.
Brian.

Anything needed for structural integrity is a good thing to have. My guess is that it'll help hold the roof up in case of a rollover.

Why not just file down the plastic screws a bit?

The pillar sits flush against the support so i would have to file the screws down to basically nothing and then they wouldn't be able to hold the gauge pod on. Also, the support itself isnt that strong. It flexes pretty easy and is only tack welded in 6 spots.

Why don't you just pre-drill using a metal bit? That way you can leave that support in place and the screws will have even more bite since it is going through metal also.

Mark

what kinda pillar is it? doesn't most pillars just go right over the existing pillar? at least most of the ones that I've had or saw -mike

My dual gauge pod snapped right on after I took the original pillar off. I don't think that's how it is supposed to go, but it works.:confused:

THe auotmeter full pillar goes right over the original trim. No need to remove it unless you need a little room at the bottom to snake wires, but then put it back on. I didnt even screw it in just got some good foam double sided tape and put it at the top

me too, mine snapped right over the stock pillar w/o any tape or screws and its still holding up until now -mike

Back