headunit choices

:
2006 Infiniti M
im sure there is another section or whatever for this, but you guys are my mazda family, and i dont care about what other ppl think :)
i need a new head unit. mine is always ******* up - skipping tracks, being unable to go to the next track, wont work at all when its hot, wont work if its to cold, wont work if you have the ac on and it gets to cold, etc. plus it will only play burned cds with no label, no real cds or cds with labels. its really annoying. so here are my choices

1) economical, stock looking double din with ipod adapter. everything i need, nothing i dont, good price, attractive in a stock way
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CFNuhNt7V9b/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=105KWGX500

2) does everything 1 does, but has dvd player. and touch screen. touch screens are so neat. doesnt everyone want a touch screen? but is it worth it for 3x more money? im so borderline thinking it is, but i want yalls opinions
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CFNuhNt7V9b/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=113DDX6019

or 3) something cheaper that you guys suggest. i do want double din though

maybe something like this?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CFNuhNt7V9b/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=077DTS603W

id go with 2
personally im not a fan of double din, id prefer a flip out over a double din screen
but if i was gonna choose one id probably get the 2nd one, seems like itd be worth the money.

I have a kenwood excelon that I'm willing to let go if you just want a head unit... it's the 864 or something model from a couple years ago...it's just sitting in the box in my house atm...I was going to put it on craigslist with a bunch of other stuff

I'm actually debating getting rid of my current alpine and getting a new one...

Nice choice. I was going to say, stay FAR away from Valor, Jensen, etc. They are pure poop.

My vote is also for #1. That is a nice looking double din.

I like life simple--#1 ftw.

For $50 more JVC KW-XG700 has front access USB. I like that. But it's kinda gray rather than stocker-looking black. Go #1.

yeah, i looked at the 700, but it has the confetti looking colored display + grey/silver. the 500 is mad stealthy

Word up. I wouldn't want that discoball flashing in my face all night. (flash)

Damn, the first one looks very nice! I wish I could have seen that one when I was looking.

doesnt everyone want a touch screen?

No.

I prefer to keep my eyes aimed outside the car. I never look at the radio while turning it on/off, changing the station, or adjusting the volume. We put a Pioneer head unit in the wife's Subie last year. It works great but I sure wish that it had bigger buttons for the radio station presets. Groping around for the tiny little dots it does have is a bit like reading Braille.

For me the Holy Grail in a head unit would be one that is completely voice activated. It would be cool to be able to say "Radio: KYSR" and have it change to that station. Some Honda's and Acura's have voice activated head units, as does the Pioneer AVIC Z2, but the MSRP is $2200!

I sure wish that it had bigger buttons for the radio station presets.
Yes! Tiny buttons are the bane of aftermarket headunits. For this reason, I hope my stock HU lasts forever. But Rob's JVC option looks pretty decent in this regard.

your giving up a lot of functionality to satisfy your double din lust, if you must have a double din just go all out and get that kenwood you posted. I mean I think itd be a waste to spend 200 dollars on that jvc unit

its not double din lust, i just HATE the map pocket. doesnt flow with the rest of the interior or my goal with the interior. and what does the unit you posted do that the jvc doesnt?

*edit*
i lose hd radio, which is irrelevant as i dont listen to the radio. id rather have the double din honestly. it matches the interior better

Last edited:
Back