headlight/foglight replacement

MontegoRx

:
06 MSP GT
Sorry, posted in the wrong area earlier...

Yes I searched. There is a how-to on modding Fog to HID, another for modding Fog to come one with parking lights, etc. There is no how-to for simply replacing the bulbs, though! I searched a bit while I was bored at work, and didn't come across anything at least.

Any case, I've decided to upgrade the high beams and fogs, and after a cursory look at the engine bay, they look to be a PITA. The manual simply says to go to the dealer, so I figure I'm in for more work than a simple swap on the old Rx7s.

Anyone have any helpful pointers, pics, etc. of the easiest ways to access each of the bulbs? Any tips on not breaking the clips for the electrical connectors (because they look like a Chinese finger trap)? Any other general hints for folks?

From what I've gathered, the high beams can be changed from above the engine bay, but I haven't played with the clips yet. The passenger low beam looks like it would be accessible from the engine bay, but I didn't pay alot of attention since I'm not touching that. The driver's low beam looks like it would require the splash guard and/or undercover to be removed to access it. And the fogs... well hell, I haven't even gotten that far, but I assume you need to remove the undercover.

Any kind of info would help. Just trying to get what I can before I start tearing into it this weekend, and figured this might help some other folks, too. (drinks)

not real sure exactly what six your talkin bout but maybe the headlights are all the same, i dunno.

here's what i can add.
on the back of the headlight housing there is a plastic cover that simply unclips to remove. from there i belive you can access all the bulbs. i swapped out my drls there. so every thing should be pretty easy to access there. i havent personally messed with the high beams but any time i've ever changed lights on any car a simple twist either direction and a gentle pull gets em right out.

as far as the fogs go, you dont have to remove the wind tray just the plastic covers underneath the bumper right were the fogs are. just a couple a screws to bend the panel down to get your hand up there.
again twist one way or the other and gently tug.
on the passenger side the horns are in the way. one bolt per horn gets em outta the way.

i just swapped bulbs for brighter ones. upgrading fogs to HID or whatever is obviously more in depth than that.

if you have a speed6... remove the front bumper and unbolt and take out the headlight housings...seems like a lot of work, but IMHO it's the easiest way.

sorry, forgot to add that it's an 06 MS6 GT. I was hoping to avoid pulling the bumper, but I did give them a quick twist with no luck. So it looks like I'll probably be pulling the bumper and getting to them that way. I had to do the same for the grille on my gf's Trailblazer, so I guess I'll suck it up and give it a shot on this.

edit: Thanks mods for deleting the junk post that used to be the first response.

Back