Header Wrapped

johnjay5

Contributor
:
Protege 93|5
Ok so I got done wrapping my header with Thermo Tec Exhaust Insulation Wrap I bought off OptAuto for $31.00 shipped. A fter severe skin-irritation and fiber-glass inhalation in my garage I finally finished it.This is supposed to keep the heat temperatures low from my headers and improve gas flow correct? It does feel nice with the header wrapped and I posted pics! Any input is appreciated. Thanks (poke)

Attachments

• 109_0920.JPG
    109_0920.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 109_0922.JPG
    109_0922.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 109_0924.JPG
    109_0924.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 109_0925.JPG
    109_0925.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 109_0928.JPG
    109_0928.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 179
looks nice! how was the application? (glue, heat, static) i recently removed my heatshield on my msp and i am worried about the extra heat from the header/mani effecting the hood paint....this may be something i may consider........

MSP#735

The only thing I used was a hose clamp from Wal-Mart for $2.97 that comes in a 5 pack. I just tightly wrapped the header and if you are considering on doing this mod, wear a sweater, gloves, and some sort of mask so you don't breathe in the fiber-glass. After the install is done, leave it out in the sun or use a blow dryer OUTDOORS!! Oh and while you're burning the header wrap make sure to leave your car on for a good 10 minutes in a well ventilated area because it really stinks and smokes a lot. I wish I had an AEM SRI, anyone selling?

hmm......mine smelt like burnt header wrap (dunno) (evil)

Last edited:
I wouldn't know, but Dewey says it smells like pie... Wonder what kind. Like poontang, or cherry LOL!

did you notice your temp gauge sitting any lower?

Your temp gauge will reflect that the thermostat opened up at that temperature. It won't reflect that the header heat isn't escaping as much to the atmosphere... It will lower your air inlet temp tho' - and that is the reason to do it... :D

My header wrap just STAAAAANK when I did the burn in. =) I started it up, let it warm up, then took it out for a drive... Got lots of funny looks at a stoplight, and all the smoke was pouring out from under my hood. Hehee.

it's supposed to smell for a little while till everything gets heated and burned off. a break in kinda process i guess you could say. under hood temps should be a little noticeable, more so on turbocharged cars. for instance i would never want to touch my downpipe after running it for a couple minutes and you could feel heat radiating just leaning near it but w/ the wrap you can easily touch the pipe just a little hotter then you would with fresh laundry (you wouldn't want to keep it there obviously but still). heavy duty hose clamps are sufficient to use to secure the wrap, just make sure you wrap the wrap tightly around the pipe. those metal bands they sell are a waste of money. i've seen tons of fully prepped race cars using QUALITY hose clamps w/o problems.

I wrapped mine with the DEI header kit with the black silicone spray. It stunk too, but looks bad ass. My underhood temps have dropped dramatically.

Back