Head Gasket Partyyyy!!!

Nice!! Ill see you around for sure then. And anyone have any ideas for shops that do good work? Instead of me working on it and having issues in a few months I'd rather take it to a shop and let them do what they will.

Scott at precision automotive in oberlin is pretty good, but expensive. Doesn't like to work on too heavily modded cars. Bates on 113 is ok too, my father-in-law uses them, but i'm not sure about turn around times

I'm not sure. Never really had one swapped in before. My father-in-law has used bates for brakes/remote starts/diff leaks/tune ups & random other things. I personally can't comment on bates, but you could always stop/call & ask

Jordan, are you able to get any of the codes read for your flashing CEL or solid CEL? That will help a lot with diagnosis.

And like Anthony said, a crack in the head or block can also be internal so it wouldn't leak on to the ground, but could mix oil with your coolant or combustion chamber(s) and all sorts of bad things can happen. But you said your radiator and reservoir are clean and clear of and oil mix? Check under your oil cap for a foamy/frothy cappacino mix. Anything coming out the tail pipe?

It was multiple cylinder misfire. Cleared the code and placed the coil. Maybe the bad coil was causing the overheating? A few ppl have mentioned it

Multiple misfire most likely means that the gasket has blown between two cylinders. A leak down test is needed but a compression tester would work in a pinch.

Well took it to a shop and found out the timing tensioner took a s*** and the belt was loose enough to rub the camshaft sensor a bunch. Probably jumped some teeth in timing as well. Also fuel pump was bad and they couldn't get a new one into the old tank on account of bad rust. So I paid 120 for a timing kit, found a new gas tank for 100 and they bought the fuel pump and stainless steel screws. Now just have to wait to get it back. When I do, I'm putting it on ramps in my barn, spraying the underbody with rust convertor, and undercoating the old girl. Try to make this basically new car last me another few years til nursing is done and I can get me my ignorantly big diesel truck and turn this into a project track car :p

Seems like it works better than naval jelly. I don't feel like painting the s*** on and all that so spray is nice. I'm thinking about truck bed coating

Problem with that is, the rust is still going on underneath. You need to stop the rust first before you do something like that. I've seen plenty of those truck bed coatings where they sprayed it over rust & eventually a hole develops where the rust was at

Yeah for sure, some reviews I saw said fluid film can be used as a rust remover. But if not then ill still do a rust convertor. How long does fluid film last for? Only reason being my dad works for glidden paints and they make a thick, rubberized undercoat that works really well and I can get it fairly cheap. My dad had it on the underbody of his bronco and 5 years after application it still looked good when he sold it. A few spots had worn off but not too bad. As for price point, althoyght tht undercoat may be discounted, fluid film would probably be a ton cheaper.

Yes it actually absorbs into the rust. It absorbs into the rest as well as protects it from all of the other elements. I put it on my moms Explorer last winter and I took it through the under body wash a few weeks ago and it was still beating up like wax. You just kinda have to touch it up every winter to make sure that it has a good protective barrier but it pretty much has stopped all of the rust from expanding.

I think for a 5 gallon bucket of fluid film and air gun was 200 something. My brother in law and I have sprayed 4 or 5 vehicles last year and then we sprayed 6 or 7 this year with the stuff. The ones that we sprayed last year still had no signs new rust on them. The stuff works and is relatively cheap if you have a shop/garage that will allow you to do the spray gun way.

I might wind up giving this a shot bc I do have an air gun now that I think of it. Do you have to thin it out/has instructions for air gun usage? Any prep work involved?

5 gallon bucket on eBay, add fluid film to gun & spray, generously. You might want to jack up the car & take the wheels off. Spray everything that can/will get salt water in/on it.

You may want to do a underbody wash the day before so you can get all the dirt debris off. It does get a little messy, but the stuff works.

Back