having amp trouble can someone

02pro-es

:
2002,ES
so heres the deal i have a kenwood KAC-9102D hooked up to a pioneer preimer TS-W3004SPL with a 1farad cap. 4 gauge wire from the battery but only a 10 gauge wire from the cap and ground. My problem is the amp keeps cutting off. i put it in a bass off the other week and hit a 140.4 db not too bad for 1 12. what could be the problem?

Double check to make sure that you have a good ground to start off.

(then check<u> all</u> of the connections...)

Last edited:
Check the remote turn on wire and its connections from your 12volt tap all the way to the amp.

It sounds to me like the amp is overheating. I wouldn't be surprised if the gain on the amp is set to high and you are clipping the signal at loud volumes. Does it shut off randomly or when you are listening at loud levels for long periods?

A poor ground would not cause the amp to shut off but if you are interested in hitting high SPL numbers I would do the following. Replace all the power and ground wires with 4ga. Make sure the amp and cap are grounded to the chassis. I.E. do not daisy chain the ground wire for the amp to the cap first.

For your ground point, make sure to sand down to bare metal, use a locking washer, bolt it down real tight, and cover the exposed metal with silcone to prevent rusting.

Checking the remote turn on wire isn't a bad idea either. If the amp is turning off randomly that could easily be the cause.

it shuts off sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes longer. i bought a 4 gauge ground today to see if that helps and im gonna rewire the sub to see if that works also.

Back