Alternator Ground Wire Location?

Working on doing Big 3 upgrade. I've found the wire from battery to chassis. I've found another thin ground running from above the alternator to the chassis (I assume engine block to chassis). I'm unable to locate where the ground from alternator is? There is a thick gauge wire coming from under the plastic cap on the alternator, but I haven't traced it yet, and assume it is actually the positive out?? I'm no mechanic, and this is the first time I've gone this big with a stereo system that I've considered doing all of this...Sorry for the noob questions!

Working on doing Big 3 upgrade. I've found the wire from battery to chassis. I've found another thin ground running from above the alternator to the chassis (I assume engine block to chassis). I'm unable to locate where the ground from alternator is? There is a thick gauge wire coming from under the plastic cap on the alternator, but I haven't traced it yet, and assume it is actually the positive out?? I'm no mechanic, and this is the first time I've gone this big with a stereo system that I've considered doing all of this...Sorry for the noob questions!

Just a heads up, when I did my coolant drain fill I noticed there's an access slot under the car to get to the alternator wiring. If you ever do the Big 3 post some pics!!

Actually if you have the chance, try grounding the intake valve (via bolt) unto the chassis. I've seen reports by mazda 3 owners whom claim this improved their throttle response since the throttle is electronic.

Got 2 grounds done. That’s it so far.

Attachments

• EAE771C5-9C4E-4B27-8686-3812A41B9AF1.jpeg
    EAE771C5-9C4E-4B27-8686-3812A41B9AF1.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 58D30830-8B26-4ED5-AE14-86BCEAB6EFDF.jpeg
    58D30830-8B26-4ED5-AE14-86BCEAB6EFDF.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 214
I'd guess the alternator grounds through the block, which in turn has a ground back to chassis.

I found frostasticbens photos of when he did his. I guess my missing link is actually the POSITIVE cable from Alt to battery. I’ll knock that out this week, I was trying to beat the rain real quick today and that’s a bit more in depth to do.

Excellent pics. Post more as you go along. You'll help a lot of people.

Did you make the wiring yourself?
I had a bunch of 4g wire from my original amplifier install that I had pulled out to replace with 1/0g wire for my new amp. I used that along with some ring terminals and a crimping tool from Amazon to make the wires myself. It’s pretty straightforward with any common sense.

Latest posts

Back