Hatch or back door entry for camping with CX-5?

I like to car camp. I used to camp in the bed of my truck, but now I'm a happy cx-5 owner and I'm trying to figure out how to get in and out when the rear seats are folded down. ideally I'd like to be able to enter and exit through the hatch, but so far it's not working out great. i can't really get a good pull to latch it from the inside and i just plain can't open it.

Are you car campers just using the backdoors or am i missing something?

That's good information @sm1ke.

The rear doors are still the fastest way to get in/out of your vehicle, at least as it comes from the factory. I'd keep your keyfob in your pocket for quick access to lock/unlock the doors, while sleeping in the car.

Maybe you can fabricate something that will work as a quick release latch, @BRPBreeze. Post it here if you like.

I wouldn't trust 3M command strips to be strong enough for a handle. They're only rated to 16 lbs max. Since it would be used as a handle I'd want to secure the strap using something stronger, like JB Weld. There is probably a way to do this and maintain the factory look with some type of cover.

If this is a newer vehicle, assume you don't have your keyfob or auto lift gate? Getting auto lift gate installed is best method so can just use keyfob. See what the cost is as is best method, easy and keeps car original.

Otherwise...

Pop out the plastic recess handle from the lift gate. Get yourself a flat ratchet strap like below and thread it through/around the metal frame where you took off the recess handle. That takes care of closing it.

To open, you gonna have to figure out where the latch mechanism is located.... You will need to precisely locate a place to drill hole(large enough to fit a strip of metal using hole saw bits) in back panel of liftgate...see if you could fashion a piece of strip metal that can be used as a lever to turn/unlatch the lift gate. Once you have a way to unlatch then you will have to push the lift gate open using manpower.

Each automaker and model car latch mechanisms work differently so make sure you understand how it works...maybe get a used latch from the junkyard to play around with.
Also if you can visit a junkyard that still lets you walk around, you can maybe see a CX-5 that has is tore apart and see the metal frame of the hatch/lift gate as well as the latching mechanism.

Or if you want to completely remove the whole interior panel, the latch mechanism can be operated by hand from the inside once the interior cover panel has been removed from the lift gate. I've done it on other non-Mazda vehicles when the latch was broken on outside.

Good luck and maybe post pics of your modifications. And remember...measure twice, drill once.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218-215504.png
    Screenshot_20221218-215504.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20221218-220948.png
    Screenshot_20221218-220948.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Let's talk your car camping setup. Any photos? I haven't used my CX for this yet, but I have taken a few naps in it! I actually have a medium latex mattress topper that would make a good camp mattress. It takes up more space than an inflatable, but inflatables are not comfortable enough for me to use them.

I also have a netting for the windows which allow you to open the windows for better airflow and keep bugs out.

518IlUcWsIL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

What are your essential items for car camping?

i just got my cx-5 so i'm trying to get what i can from my last vehicle in there. it was a silverado, so i've lost a lot of room to camp. right now it would be a foam pad and air pad, blankets, small stove/cups/etc, helinox chair, i need to get a small metal table for cooking and that will be my super minimal set up. i'm going to make some kind of window covers. i'd like to find a good way to put up some fairy lights quickly, but i can just use a small lantern for now. i'm not looking for an rv, just a place to sleep for a night or two.

Back