Hatch/cargo light replacement

nguyendot

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT Black Mica
So I know there are a few LED replacements for the back light. I think placement is terrible, and brightness is worse. If I put my backpack under the cargo net on the left, it blocks all the light to the rest of the trunk.

I am thinking of wiring up my own cargo lights and using the feed from the OEM light with a festoon adapter.

Does anyone see problems with this? I saw a few people have their rear control module burn out because they shorted or overloaded the light socket. I'm going with two 6w LED panels @ 12v which should make 1 amp. If it works out I want to place them on the underside of the retractable cargo cover body and run the wires inside the chassis of that cargo cover to the left side. Basically I'll put the power terminal contacts inside where the whole assembly fits when you put the cargo cover in, and put matching terminals on the end of the cargo cover assembly so that it is electrically detached when you remove it for moving larger items. I don't want to have to unhook any wires.

Has anyone done anything like this? I did similar with my old Malibu way back when (over a decade ago). They seem to put out some serious light so I'm hoping I can actually see what I'm getting out of the trunk when I have to work at night.

thanks all

You REALLY don't need anything like 2 x 6W LEDs!! WAY too much power and light - you'll just blind yourself AND probably blow the RBCM like you're worried about!

I did this: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831398-Spot-the-Lighting-Mod. In which I used 2 x 3-LED strips (so 6 x 5050 white LEDs) - about 1W at MOST and more than enough light - cellphone photo doesn't do it justice:

attachment.php

Paris, why you did not install it at the center?
On my ex 08' VW Rabbit, when I folded down the sun visor, the light would turn on. I'm wondering what could actuate that light? Mercury switch in the visor?

Last edited:
After playing with the lights I decided to only use one light. 6w I'd relatively low power and should be fine. Just need to get a festoon adapter and wire it in.

Thanks for the shout out!

And yes...my mod is VERY bright....maybe a little too bright, but it definitely works very well. (wiggle) If you want to go this route, rather than using 12" LED strips for each "light", you can use 6" strips instead. I live in the city and have a lot of street lights to compete with.

I realized that the hatch mounted lights illuminate my tow hitch and the ground behind the bumper pretty well, so it makes it very convenient when needing to access the tow hitch.

Back