Has this ever happened to anyone?

CAROLINAP5

:
02 P5
I have a 02 P5. Recently my front drivers side tire went flat cold. The tire was brand new as well as the other four. So I knew it was not the tire. We took it off and saw no damage from foreign objects like a nail or anything. I took it to back my local tire shop and they put air back into the tire and found that there was a small crack in the rim (stock) on the edged and that was where air was escaping. So I decided to find another rim (stock) and place it on the same side of the car. I left the the shop again with the replacement rim and I got maybe four miles and my tire went flat again. Once again I had the shop take it off and the same little hairline crack was on the edge of the rim. We were all baffled, but something inside the wheel/suspension was causing this. because this is the only side that it has happened. Can someone help or elaborate? I can take pics of the cracks. I have never had a car cause the same crack in two different rims on he same wheel. Thanks!

The most likely explanation by far is that the shop screwed up and put the old rim back on the car.

If your car really is cracking rims there would have to be some sort of collision between the wheel and part of the car. I can't imagine that this would be so subtle that you wouldn't notice it - most likely there would be a horrible noise and the steering would jerk. Easy enough to check though - put the car up on a lift and rotate the wheels lock to lock and see if anything touches.

It cannot be the same rim. There are two damaged rims with the same small crack. I will post pictures later of both. Maybe someone will see it and recognize what the problem is. Thanks!

The tires you had on the car before the new ones, did they leak? Also, did they put the same tire on the new rim?

Usually a hairline crack may have a slow leak but often times they hold air quite well depending on the location and size of the crack.

I'm gonna bet it may be the valve stem..

The tires I had on before were worn but did not leak. I do not think it is a tire issue. Something is causing a crack in the rims. And for it to come from the same side of the car and look exactly alike, makes this crazy. I have finally attached pics of the two rims.

The tires I had on before were worn but did not leak. I do not think it is a tire issue. Something is causing a crack in the rims. And for it to come from the same side of the car and look exactly alike, makes this crazy. I have finally attached pics of the two rims.

Now that is strange. Any signs of damage to the side of the rim? Hmm, wait a minute, did the tire shop work on the first rim too before it cracked? Maybe there is something wrong with one of their machines which is doing this?

Could be their machine. I would think it would have affected all four rims if that was the case though unless the small crack started in the body of the rim, which is usually quite hard to see. Then when they put it on the machine the pressure snapped it which would be my guess.

Have a look around your area and see if there is a place that works with rims. They may be able to fix them. It can cost any where from $45-200 ish though and you can get a new rim or a used rim set for that. Never know though, price may be on the lower side. Worth looking into.

Back