Has anyone gotten damage driving over debris?

sodasui

2020 CX-5 Sport AWD Jet Black Mica
Just drove over debris on the road. Horizontal, long, like a pole, but weird triangular shape, and red colored. It was about 3-4 inches high/thick. Couldnt tell by the feeling of driving over it whether it was metal or plastic. Didnt see it until it was too late, as it was very dark and I was going fast.
Do you think it could have bounced up behind my tires and scraped the underside? Will my suspension/tire be damaged? How has your CX-5 held up against road debris?

I suggest taking some flash photos of the underside if you are concerned. There are aero panels on much of the underside of the 17+ CX, probably made of ABS plastic, with a fiberized coating to reduce noise.

You're asking us if we think that the item that you drove over bounced up and damaged your car?

How would we know?

Either it did or it didn't. You'll have to crawl up under the car and have a looksee.

I passed over a projecting rock on an unpaved road and heard a scraping sound but sounded like a light scrape. No leaks. Will ask Mazda to take a look at next service. Suggest OP do the same.

If the object had a pointed edge (triangular) and was 4” high it could very well have damaged a tire or wheel - have them checked.

…Do you think it could have bounced up behind my tires and scraped the underside?

Yes, I think it could have. Take a look. Before the next scheduled service. A damaged brake line/suspension component could cause a fatal crash.

Hit a wooden block about 5 inches high by 2 ft long, couldn't avoid it as a car was right next to me. It got kicked up by the tire and damaged the right fender and door.😡

Back