Hard wiring a Valentine 1

340CID

I've got a Valentine 1 and want to hard wire it into my MS3..... can anyone give me a clue as to what/which/location of a wire I can tap into that is only live when the ignition is in ACC or ON? Keep in mind I do not have a sunroof.... so I think that eliminates any wires in the roof.

I did this in my Prelude a few years ago and had to run a wire down the a-pillar to tap into a wire in the drivers side kick panel. However, I have the factory workshop & electrical manual for that car.... I haven't sprung for the manuals yet for the MS3.

Any suggestions??

I've been researching this as well for my brother's MS3. From what I've been reading the cigarette lighter under the radio would be the spot. However, I am still searching for the procedures for taking apart the center stack...

why not tap the cig lighter? its only on for ACC. and its got more then enough power for the radar detector.

Edit: you beat me too it.

i need to get a radar and want to do the same thing. can it be tapped to the wires up top where the map lights are?

ohhhhhhhhh, i see...that would keep it on (yes/no?) at all times, whereas a different location would be powered only in acc or on...

hmmm i see

I've got a Valentine 1 and want to hard wire it into my MS3..... can anyone give me a clue as to what/which/location of a wire I can tap into that is only live when the ignition is in ACC or ON? Keep in mind I do not have a sunroof.... so I think that eliminates any wires in the roof.

I did this in my Prelude a few years ago and had to run a wire down the a-pillar to tap into a wire in the drivers side kick panel. However, I have the factory workshop & electrical manual for that car.... I haven't sprung for the manuals yet for the MS3.

Any suggestions??

ok i got the perfect set up for u i got the v1 too i had it hard wired to the map lights your vr should have the whole up with with everything u need to huck it up tommorow ill take a few pics its easy it told me 5 mins was bored on night and did it and it looks way better the only thing is that u got to turn it off at night but i have let mine on all nigth and had no problems turning on my speed

Mine is tapped into a wire in the driver's side kick panel. It is the same one the auto-dim mirror connects to. The wire can go down the A piller past the dash board to the area. There is an obvious ground there too.

I added an extra 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet by using an add-a-circuit.

071-585L.jpg

I plugged it into the cigarette lighter fuse in the fuse box. I ground it on a screw in the passenger footwell and ran the line to the center console behind the AC vents (where the factory nav would go). I connected a cigarette lighter socket and left it coiled up behind the AC vents. I covered all the wires in black loom.

Right now it is not being used but when I get a GPS or radar detector I will plug in the 12 volt socket and feed the wires through the AC vents.

There is a ign 12v source independent of the map lights. Its located in back of the map lights in the headliner.youll see 2 bundles of wires going through the back of the maplights one connects to your maplights the other goes straight back to the dome lights. open up the tape that surrounds this wire and locate the pink wire. Its not a solid pink I believe there is a grey wire running through it. Thats the one.

There is a ign 12v source independent of the map lights. Its located in back of the map lights in the headliner.youll see 2 bundles of wires going through the back of the maplights one connects to your maplights the other goes straight back to the dome lights. open up the tape that surrounds this wire and locate the pink wire. Its not a solid pink I believe there is a grey wire running through it. Thats the one.

Thank you!!! This cut down my wire hunting time to about 1 minute! I will do a write-up with pictures in a day or two. The whole job took about 30 minutes as I didn't have to run a wire down the a-pillar. The pink wire with yellow stripe is only live with the ignition in the ON position which is perfect!

Thanks again!

Thank you!!! This cut down my wire hunting time to about 1 minute! I will do a write-up with pictures in a day or two. The whole job took about 30 minutes as I didn't have to run a wire down the a-pillar. The pink wire with yellow stripe is only live with the ignition in the ON position which is perfect!

Thanks again!

if you could please post a link to the How-To here when ready
i ordered my V1 this past weekend and plan to do the same thing....just a pic of the wire that was tapped in to would help loads

If you have a mirror with power..No fuss, no muss:

MazdaMirror.jpg

That's where I put mine, 'cept above and left of the mirror. Tied the Invisicord to that switched power. In my Ram, it's incredibly easy to run wire down the A-pillar.

Back