Happy that I got a 2008.5 (2010 drive)

I wonder if same motor = same smoke issues and same BOOM issues? I'm actually considering a 2010 even though I once thought it ugly. An in person peek changed my mind.
Also considering a new WRX though.

I don't think any "boom" issue exist with these cars. Not stock anyway.

Last edited:
The real problem is not looks. It's that the new car is a porker - about a 200 pound weight gain.

that would be like my brother-in-law in the car with me!! he and i together must be like 3-4 of you skinny chaps..... doesn't seem to hamper things on the top end :D

But both cars are very, very good value for the hard earned dollar.

yes, both a winner. if i was doing the same research, car shopping that i was a year and half ago, i think the 2010 MS3 would still win.... though the looks are NOT to my liking.... still so glad i have a 2009.

I rode in a 10 the other day (current 08.5 owner). I have to say I wouldn't even consider buying one. You are are all talking about how it is more refined and ours is a bit more "raw". I couldn't disagree more. I found the new MS3 to feel really cheap. The added electronics make it all the more cheap feeling. Road noise was a problem, more so than my MS3.

As far as performance it was just ok, but perhaps I am just used to the power curves of my MS3 and not used to how the 10 responds.

As far as looks, this car would look awesome with a front grill kit on it. Sports cars shouldn't "smile", it is just unseemly. Put a nice grill kit on it and the whole car starts to look pretty nice.

As far as the WRX, I would have bought that over my ms3 but it is WAY too expensive. IMO you cannot compare the two cars as options to eachother. Price being equal I would pick the WRX every time (though I LOVE my MS3). AWD for the win! I got my MS3 for 22k I was looking at the WRX at the time and they were going for 28-29K.

I've test driven both multiple times and I have to say the Gen 1 is more of a sports car whereas the second generation being sports car optional. Due to my commute (light to light on the expressway) 30 mins each way, I prefer the power curves on the 2010 over then Gen 1. Heck, I'd like the power to come 1000 rpm later in the Gen 2 as well. However, I much prefer the interior on then Gen 2 as well the integrated Bluetooth! I guess the working life of a 9-5er makes your more boring... :(

I took a look at one the other day while I was at the dealership. have to agree that it does look a little bit better in person but still fugly. the only improvement really imo is the fact that they "tried" to add a cool looking boost gauge for the 2010.

The red paint is really purty. (wow)

Back