GT28 turbo stock internals

JoeT

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So this is my situation, i bought a MSP and it was leaking oil so i brought it to a shop and they said the turbo was blown so i bought the GT28 (this is it) and then when replacing the turbo the shop found that the turbo manifold was cracked so i replaced it with (this) then i finally get the car back and it is still leaking oil bring it back they find out cylinder 1 has low compression and is spitting out oil, so they are fixing that right now. My question is will the GT28 be okay with the stock internals or should i look into spending even more money and buying forged pistons and rods and having the shop do that eventually as well or if there is any other cheaper way to strengthen the engine?

Might as well go forged since ur in their if u have the money these cars can't take to much abuse on stock internals

I don't have the extra cash right now this is something i may plan on in the future but should i be scared to get on it a bit even if its at stock boost with the bigger turbo or should it be okay for now?

Im sorry, hopefully you get your parts on time and they are the correct parts. PG sucks big time. Stick with reputable vendors such as cr3 motorsports, speedcircuit and crossover auto

I don't have the extra cash right now this is something i may plan on in the future but should i be scared to get on it a bit even if its at stock boost with the bigger turbo or should it be okay for now?

and you should be ok boosting at stock 5-7ish psi on stock internals, but tuning it would help a great deal to help extend the life of your engine until u go forged.

Keep in mind 7psi on a GT28 is a lot more air than 7psi on the stock GT25. The stock motor can likely handle 7-8 no problem with the 28.

Yea I am getting it tuned as soon as the turbo breaks in I just wanted to make sure if I hold off on forged internals I wont blow the motor. Thank you all for the replies

o i didnt know there is no break in period the shop told me to take it easy for the next 1000 miles and then bring it in for a tune

pssh i was running 9-12 psi on my 2871 on my stock block in the winter lol. Was destroying my tires in second. Be careful though i know this engine/platform like the back of my hand, and i was willing to take the risk. i always rolled on the throttle i never mashed it. Gotta save them rods lol.

Im actually not 100% sure what turbo i got i paid for the GT28r but when i spoke to the guys at the shop they said it was an RS so either Protege Garage sent me the better one on accident or the guys at the shop accidentally said RS.

Back