Goodbye 2003 Honda Element, Hello 2018 Mazda CX-5 GS

isketerol

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD
Hi:

I just dropped off my trusty 2003 Honda Element EX with 170,000 km on the clock at the dealer's today. I picked up a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GS. I was hard to say goodbye to Elsie - she was good to me for 15 years with hardly an issue at all. I am hoping Madge will a good choice as well.

My first impressions:

• The Element always did feel "bigger on the inside". The ways in which you could rearrange the seats were to say the less numerous. I am going to miss wowing people with how much I could haul with the seats folded up against the sides.

• The Element has a certain boxy style that made it much harder to lose track of it in the parking lot. She stood a little higher so I could see her at a distance. It was called (unfairly) fugly by some,

• I will miss the little storage trays the Element had. The CX-5, on the other hand, has a very clean design.

• The sound system in the CX-5 is miles better with a cleaner richer sound and far better controls. The Element did have a nice big subwoofer, but the overall sound wasn't great.

• I thought I would miss the kick that I could get with the Element's manual transmission - I could get great acceleration in 3rd or 4th at about 3,000 rpms. I was surprised to feel the CX-5 willing and ready to move quickly even without engaging Sport mode. I think I will try the Tiptronic in the summer to see how that feels.

• I already caught myself grabbing at where the B-pillar is on the CX-5 to open the back door in the same way as the Element's. It's going to happen again, I know. My passengers will like not having to beg to have the front seats moved forward to let them out tho.

• The LED headlight system puts the old halogen setup on the Element to shame. I have found it difficult to see the white markings on the road when it's wet, and now I think they should stand out much better.

• I have not had a sunroof for a very long time and I think I will definitely like using it.

• The safety features do make for a better drive. The blindspot monitors do help, although I do have to get used to the warnings.

I ruled out the Honda CR-V as it just didn't seem to have any character to me. I think the Element's character was much more obvious than the CX-5, but I think the subtlety of the CX-5 is definitely going to grow on me.

Congrats. We have a 2003 Element also. In fact, I was searching for a replacement of it for my wife when I discovered the CX5. She still loves the versatility of her Element, and decided she wants to hang onto it. But after doing the research, I decided I had to have the diesel CX-5, if Mazda will ever bring it and take my money.

The Element is much bigger and taller and more open on the inside. The CX-5 is car-like inside except for the cargo area.

I think the Element still looks great, but I'm also one who thinks the CRVs look worse with each generation.

Madge? Really? Madge? (dunno) LOLOL J/K

Welcome to the club!

I named my car: Black Betty (wham a lam)

I always liked the Element. It's discontinuation was, to me, one of the signs of Honda's descent into blandness.

Agree, Craigo. I'll never forget my friend opening both doors and hosing the effing thing out after a muddy trip into Rocky Mountain Natl Park for some hiking. Try that in.... anything else.

Agree, Craigo. I'll never forget my friend opening both doors and hosing the effing thing out after a muddy trip into Rocky Mountain Natl Park for some hiking. Try that in.... anything else.

7- try the wrangler. i hated the looks of the element, but i'm sure it was practical.

haven't named one of my cars in a long time.... last one was the black twin turbo VR4... appropriately named Vader.

(rockon)

I always liked the Element. It's discontinuation was, to me, one of the signs of Honda's descent into blandness.
This is exactly Id want to say about Honda Element and Honda as a whole. We had planned to get an Element if our old and faithful 1998 Honda CR-V was giving us any sign of problems. :)

Back