Good Buy?

Hormel

Hello, first let me introduce myself a little bit.

My name is Ronnie, I live in High Point North Carolina, and I drive a 1997 Dodge Neon (screwy). Until recently, I haven't really been that interested in cars, I went to the track with my uncle a couple times, he has a 900 HP Mustang, but other then that its been kinda blah with me.

About 6 months ago thats when I started really getting into cars, learning more about them, how they work, what makes them faster etc.. the basics. I've been saving up for sometime working to buy me a new car, the 97 Neon needs a new transmission, and yea uhh, I don't want to put a new one in..

I wanted a car that was fast, but wasnt so fast, that I would kill myself in, I want a car that if I choose to make it fast, I'm going to build it up myself. But most importantly I wanted a good looking daily driver, and being a hatchback person myself, the Mazda Protege 5 got my eye very early.

I've been researching the car a little bit, finding out some stuff about it, found out its really not that fast, but if a civic pulls up besides you with nothing but a fart can , you have a shot.. and thats about all the speed I want personally...

So I'm looking on autotrader for about 2 months, at the Protege5, and other cars, and about 3 days ago I found the best deal I think i've ever seen

2002 Protege 5, Black, 32,000 Miles, I saw the 32,000 miles and i was like wow that is a lot lower then I have seen a lot, and for only 9,995$. Which is about normal price for one with at least 65k+ Miles

So anyones can anyone tell me if this is really the good deal I think it is, do you think this car is for me.. or should I maybe be looking at something else..

Thank You,
Ronnie

thats a really decent price for a P5 w/ low miles....make sure to carfax it first....

5358773.jpg

Vehicle Info
Price: $9,995.00
Mileage: 36304
Ext. Color: Black Mica
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Engine: 2.0L
Stock #: J3102A
Vin: JM1BJ245321528975

Options

* Power Windows
* Power Door Locks
* Tilt Wheel
* Cruise Control
* Tachometer
* AM/FM Stereo
* Cassette Player
* CD Player
* Air Conditioning
* Bucket Seats
* Center Arm Rest
* Cloth Seats
* Map Pockets
* 5 Passenger Seating
* Roof Luggage Rack
* Luggage Rack
* Mirrors-Pwr Driver
* Mirrors-Pwr Passenger
* Mirrors-w Turn Signals
* Wheels-Aluminum
* Spoiler
* Body Side Molding
* Transmission-Manual
* Fog Lights
* Console
* Cup Holders
* Trip Odometer
* Clock
* Air Bag - Driver
* Air Bag - Passenger
* Rear Shoulder Harness
* Power Steering
* Power Brakes
* 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
* Front Wheel Drive
* Child Safety Locks
* Intermittent Wipers
* Rear Defrost
* Rear Wiper

I doubt that it has "Mirrors-w Turn Signals", as claimed. I don't believe any P5's came with those. They don't look like aftermarket in the picture. But it definitely sounds like a good price.

It seems like a Damn good buy!!! It is a little more than what I paid for my P5 with 67k.

Don't be too disappointed in not having those mirrors w/turn signals. Like 5PADZAM said, the P5 didn't come with and the mirrors in that pic are stock.

Good buy (strike). Keep in mind you did say 'not to fast'...that's good. It handles well out of the box but,...'not to fast'.

Welcome to the site. That is a great deal!!! I'm sure with some negotiation, you could prolly get it for an even 9000 out the door. That's what I did with mine!

Also, if you do get the car, feel free to join www.carolinamazdas.com . We are all in NC/SC and there need to be more p5s among us! This Saturday, the 15th, feel free to come out to Parks Mazda in High Point (from 12-4). We are having a huge Family Day sponsored by the dealership. You can see my black p5, and a lot of our other member's rides.

Hope to see you there!

I would love to come, but I work Third shift so I'm normally asleep during them hours,
I will sign up Carolinamazdas :)

Looks pretty nice. There was a Yellow P5 with some aftermarket options for sale on Guilford college road in Greensboro. I never stopped to check it out though.

I just noticed... that car does not have the side fender blinkers.

The car does or does not have a sunroof? They don't list it. The mirrors do not have turn signals in them. Maybe they meant the car has Mirrors... and turn signals.

I paid 12k for mine back in '04
Basically the same specs too.... Bone stock.

Mileage is important though so if it's the car you want then go with lower mileage. See if they'll lower the price, and fix any paint dings.
CHECK THAT THEY HAVE FLOORMATS KEYS AND REMOTES for it. Demand they give you two sets, or compensate you for them. Tehy like to trash those things and it's one less bit you have to replace.

Last edited:
Looks identical to my car in stock form minus the tape player and side air bags. Bought mine a year ago for $10,300 with 29k miles on it. I am sure you could knock the price down a little. Did anyone mention how these cars hold their value like no other car?

Mine's an 02 and has the side blinkers and the "squarish" 5 spoke wheels.
I guess it's a latter half 02

Back