Going trayless

Rocket

I've decided to leave the tray under the engine off the car. The piece in front of the tray that the tabs on the tray insert into finally broke off so the tray sagged somewhat in the front. I'm going to run for a while without the tray and see what happens.

I'm guessing all I'll notice will be a bit more dirt on the oil pan, though I've considered that cooling may be affected.

Anyone else going trayless?

I've gone trayless, mostly because my wife accidentally ran over a parking curb smashing it up. lol. I don't see any cooling problems and oil changes are quicker.

My Corolla didn't have a tray. The only problem I had with that was when I was trying to drive my lowered Corolla on a street with densely packed snow... the snow kept getting into the engine bay so my car would get stuck -- GOING DOWNHILL! I had to exit the car every 10 feet to dig snow out. Then after four attempts, I decided to just WOT it.

Better cooling since more air can move around the engine + reduced (probably immeasurable unless you hypermile) aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. My T-Bird SC had a completely flat tray under the frame to make it more aerodynamic and steady at high speeds (verified BTW; no details (evil) too bad) I believe as part of its NASCAR heritage. Doubt anyone will be pushing their 5s deep into triple digits tho. Buy a Miata for the track or a MS3 for the strip.

You might want to check under the carriage just to make sure there are no loose wires/cables that used to be 'protected' by the tray. We were driving along Car pool lane in L.A. one time and the car in front hit a debris (a large part of torn rubber tire) debris came towards us hit the 'mazda bra' (saved the paint), and I cringed at the noise as the rubber went under and out in the back.. big scratch marks on the plastic tray..

It it was me I would order the parts needed to bring the 5 back to stock.

Without the tray, don't forget to make noise before starting the car in winter time. Just to awaken the cat or or other small creatures that took advantage of the warmth of the engine bay area. lol. happened to a friend of mine.

Last edited:
If it was me I would order the parts needed to bring the 5 back to stock.

if it was me, i would do the same. you may not notice any immeadiate differences from running without the under tray, but it is there for a reason.

the attachment method is really poor. I also don't like that you can't easily get to the filter through the hole designed for it.
cars ran for years w/o these things, I think you would be fine going w/o. if I break any of the attachment pins next oil change, I may just leave it off.

That's not an oil filter hole - it's a final inspection hole for the factory.

I believe the lower tray stabilizes the front bumper and inner fenders by tying them all together, but it's your vehicle so you can do what you want.

That's not an oil filter hole - it's a final inspection hole for the factory.

I believe the lower tray stabilizes the front bumper and inner fenders by tying them all together, but it's your vehicle so you can do what you want.

so THATS why my hand doesn't fit up in there!
I doubt the 'stabilizes' idea too; those plastic push pins are too flimsy to do anything but hold the pan up.
regardless, its on now and won't come off unless there is a reason, like I said.

no way does the splash pan stabilize anything. its there for proper airflow through the radiator and engine bay. it DOES serve a purpose.

Push pins? Mine is held on by about 6 screws and 4 bolts, no pins. When the tray is off, the inner fenders flop and the bottom of the front bumper spans across on the bottom with nothing to resist. Everything is definitely more stable on mine with the tray in place. Just pull yours off and wiggle things, you'll see.

push pins? Mine is held on by about 6 screws and 4 bolts, no pins. When the tray is off, the inner fenders flop and the bottom of the front bumper spans across on the bottom with nothing to resist. Everything is definitely more stable on mine with the tray in place. Just pull yours off and wiggle things, you'll see.

+1 agree

Things may flap around a bit on the highway but overall, I don't think any harm will come of driving without it.

Here is a picture from the user Babelbox, from the maintenance thread - he can now take off the filter without removing what I've always called the splash guard.

downsized_0808091500.jpg

I haven't done this - I only do oil chages a couple of times per year or every 5,000 miles (synthetic - Mobil 1) and it doesn't take that much time to remove the plastic piece, whatever it's called.

Back