Gnarly valve train ticking

TheOPWK

I have a 2002 p5 with 120k miles on it. and for the past 15k or so Ive had a weird ticking sound coming from my valve train. i had the timing belt done and it didnt help. Do you have to adjust the valves on this car. Im a Volkswagen guy so I dont know s*** about this car.

o man vw's are crazy :)

is it constant while your idling or only while your on the gas.

somone should be able to post the tsb for this in a minute i dont really know it but if its what you got someone will know

its only while im on the gas, torwards the top of the RPM range. If I just hold it in gear and go up in the RPM's, It sounds like a bike with a baseball card in the spokes.

ewww thought sombody would have helped ya out by now but if im not mistaken its a problem and there is a tsb on it

tsb=technical service bulliten. it's when a company has a "band-aid" to a problem. it's just shy of a recall.

Technical Service Bulletin.

I'll bet you just need a valve adjustment. Get ready to shell out about $400 though. We have a shim and bucket design adjustment so you have to go in and check the clearence on each valve and if it's out you have to replace the shim with a thicker or thinner one. It's a pain since you can't get the bucket out with the cam in the way.

Also what weight oil are you running??? and do yourself a big favor and check it right now. The higher milage Pro's are notorious for using up oil and throwing rod bearings. A loud topend might be the first signs of low oil.

I keep the oil up. it does burn a little, but I keep it up to snuff. Thanks for the info on the valve adjustment.

TheOPWK said:
I keep the oil up. it does burn a little, but I keep it up to snuff. Thanks for the info on the valve adjustment.

I too have a "ticking" noise similar to your description. Mine is between 4000-5000 rpm under hard acceleration. I say it sounds like pop-tabs shaking in an aluminum can.......

I'm taking her in tomorrow.....but the dealer has suggested running higher octane gas....see http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82736 which was a comment of mine on another thread regarding this issue. Good luck with you "ticking". I'll post my "results" from the dealer later.

Grrrrrr I have developed this rattle coming from my engine. I get it at partial throttle. If I go WOT it goes away. I am running synthetic oil and keep it full. I am running iridium plugs and running 91 octane fuel. I have an MP3 ECU and 83K miles.

Any ideas?

rednecks_r_us said:
I just started making that noise with in the lass 500 miles
I was referring to the ticking described in the thread title. Sorry, but I have no clue what's going on with your car. I reccomend lighting candles around you car and begging for mercy from the FSDE sub-titans.

It usually works for me.

Pretzellogic said:
I was referring to the ticking described in the thread title. Sorry, but I have no clue what's going on with your car. I reccomend lighting candles around you car and begging for mercy from the FSDE sub-titans.

It usually works for me.

ROFLMAO hahahaha I might have to try that.

I took mine into the dealer, and they said the noise was from the front motor mount, (torn). I still have the sound, and unfortunately the damn dealership is an hour away from me. I have to call and make another appt to get it in AGAIN, will be the third time. They said it was doing no harm though. I swore up and down that it wasnt the motor mount but they were damn sure it was. bah.

It almost sounds like pinging, the way the noise was described.. the baseball card in spokes thing, at least - that's how I described the noise when I got it.

Or at least I think that's what the noise was when I had it... was running 89 octane with my timing cranked up from 10* stock to 16* BTDC, it was a bloody hot day, and it only happened under hard throttle in the upper revs. I dropped the timing to 14*, and never heard it again.

I get the sound no matter what grade gas, even now that its cooling off I still have it. Hmmm I want to play with my timing now...

I just hooked up a friends lap top to my OBDII and here are my engine readings.

I'm going to post a thread for help reading them over in the tuning section for the experts to read.

readings2.bmp
readings.bmp

i had that same desktop for the past week or so...then i switched it to the rear view of it...

but yeah, im curious about this too...i noticed some ticking coming from my car this afternoon...its really noticeable especially if youre driving next to a wall or anything to reflect the sound...

Back