Glass cleaner

:
Miata and CX-5
If you are able to clean your vehicle glass so clean so that it looks nearly invisible, please share here to this thread your procedure and products used.
I've tried Invisible Glass, Stoners Glass, Windex, Meguiars, Griot's and other glass cleaners with fresh microfiber towels, squeegees etc... but nothing to seem to get the front windshield truly clean.

If you are able to clean your vehicle glass so clean so that it looks nearly invisible, please share here to this thread your procedure and products used.
I've tried Invisible Glass, Stoners Glass, Windex, Meguiars, Griot's and other glass cleaners with fresh microfiber towels, squeegees etc... but nothing to seem to get the front windshield truly clean.
Should we assume the problem is the interior, off-gassing film and whatnot?

Water & vinegar. Also, whatever you use I'd recommend blue Scott shop towels, then buff again with another blue Scott towel

I think the old standby is using a coarse, dry paper to buff off the haze left by cleaning agents. Newsprint is good, but I think other coarse paper, for example brown paper towels, can work.

Unfortunately they all require lots of work.

Volatile components of the various materials used to cover the dash condense on the cooler windshield and form a difficult to remove film.

Frank

When the film on the glass just won't go away, hot water and ammonia does the trick for me. The vinegar/ water and newspaper I tried back in the 1970's was a one time event due to too much work for the results obtained. Dry with cloth containing no soap residue. Paper towels can (and do) leach out some gunk when they get wet and smear on the glass, so I use microfiber towels. With spray on cleaners (I like Sprayway in the aerosol can) I always have to go over the inside of the windshield twice no matter what the brand.
In talking with a window washer who was doing large storefront windows with great results, his method is a little dishwashing detergent in cold water, squeegee and newspaper.

Volatile components of the various materials used to cover the dash condense on the cooler windshield and form a difficult to remove film.

Frank
In addition to interior plastics off-gassing, so does oily vapors from road traffic exhaust and (of course) smoking.

What does off-gassing film mean ?
Others have chimed in with answers--interior plastics giving off oily gasses that adhere to the glass. Then there's the whatnot...cigarette smoke, environmental pollutants, even what you may be exhaling into it even if you don't smoke.

What it boils down to is whether interior of the windshield lights up with smears and swirls when the sun hits it just right. Conventional glass cleaners mostly just smear it around. Auto glass cleaners are not any better.

If that is the issue, the next question is how thick that residue might be. If the vehicle is fairly new one of the suggestions above might work. If there are several years of residue that have just been smeared around with glass cleaner the problem is more difficult.

For particularly stubborn residue, you'll find a couple of youtube videos where detailers use alcohol or other liquids along with Magic Erasers. The erasers have an ultra fine abrasive that should not damage the glass. That's quite labor intensive and it might not work for you. It didn't for me.

As a last resort, you could try Nu Finish car polish, my personal hack that I've seen nobody else on youtube or elsewhere recommend for interior. This polish is assumed to also contain ultra fine abrasives. I had been using it on the exterior windshield based on a youtube video for beading and smoother blade glide with good success then figured it couldn't hurt on the inside when prepping a 14 year old car for trade.

Position the car where the sun lights up all the smears, then easy on the Nu Finish with a damp microfiber, easy off with a dry one, two treatments for especially stubborn film. That solves about 90% of the problem if you later see in a different light some smears you missed. Then just buff out those residuals with a dry microfiber and you're good to go. I've been doing this a for a couple of years now, repeating with my annual detail, on two other cars since that trade old trade with good results.

Further responses below may be outraged. "Car polish on glass!? No way!" Well, you may want to avoid using it on tinted windows, especially aftermarket tints. I did use it on the rear factory tints on that 14 year old trade without any immediate issues but not on other vehicles to err on the side of caution. Other than that, if all else fails, Nu Finish is an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where ultrafine abrasives would work such as in a polish. That's what Bon Ami is. I guess the trick is that the abrasive is softer than glass.

I can see where ultrafine abrasives would work such as in a polish. That's what Bon Ami is. I guess the trick is that the abrasive is softer than glass.
I wouldn't be so sure that the ultra fine abrasives in a car polish like Nu Finish is softer than glass. The question is whether it matters. Headlight and paint restorations use ultra fine abrasives, 3000 or 5000 grit. Clay bars work because they have ultra fine abrasives. I don't see how you could take swirl marks out of clear coat without abrading it. Surely clear coat and plastic headlight covers are softer than glass.

I make mine own. Does a great job and cost pennies. Here's the receipe.

1 cup Rubbing Alcohol
1 cup Water (try to use distilled water if you have it).
6 tablespoons white Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Liq dish detergent

A thought occurs to be now. Since we're dealing with what is primarily an oily/greasy residue, has anybody tried citrus cleaners, Goo Gone, Goof Off or the like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprayway glass cleaner (lowes has it for like $3/can or wallymart 2pack for less than $5). It does NOT contain any ammonia. Microfiber or newspaper. Nothing else comes close.
Oh and the Sprayway works well on displays too. (don't use newsprint on them though. I used new microfiber, or 3M "special" cloth from work)

For years, I have used an old cotton(?) hand towel to just wipe the inside of my vehicle’s windows. No fuss or muss, no streaks or smears, no chemicals, no nuttin. Just wipe the windows and enjoy crystal clear glass. Seems too easy, but it works, at least for me.

I use Sprayway as well (the can of foamy glass cleaner) and the blue shop paper towels with great success. I agree with a previous poster, that you can use a fresh piece or newspaper to buff the glass.

Try glass wax. Stuff like Windex doesn't work worth a darn.
I get streaks on my patio door glass that shows up in direct sunlight. Used glass wax and headlight lens cleaner. Made a big difference.

Invisible glass works for me. Don't need much. Then I use a micro fiber towel to rub it and dry it. Also when I wax my car I usually use the wax applicator to put a small amount of wax on the windshield, and rub it off with a clean microfiber cloth. It not only makes the windshield clean, it also makes the windshield wipers glide over the glass smoothly. The harder part to clean is the coating that gets on the inside of the windshield, but again I have good luck with invisible glass.

Ten years ago I switched to using Microfiber Glass Cleaning and Polishing Cloths. The cleaning cloths are ‘rough’, and designed to be used without chemicals (though I put one drop of dishwashing detergent in the bucket of water). Then buff with the softer towel. Works so well and quickly that I clean my home’s windows the same way. Ten years old and still working well.

Here is an example……

Back