Getting NEW ENGINE!!!

cruzdreamer

:
Former owner of Mazda CX 7 GT Electric Blue
Ok gang....I am sorry I don't have all the details but I am not sure Mazda even knows.....they said the all the loads of tests they did in regards to my blue smoke did not come out as expected so they are replacing the engine...sounds to me like they are not sure what is going on. I did not get into it further because I figured I would not understand much, but I will press further. The only issue I have at this point is that they won't give me a new warranty with that engine...I guess it picks up where my old one left off.....but what if in 22,000 miles I get this smoke issue or anything else and it's out of warranty...well....that will stink. I was trying to think about it in a positive way...new engine....like no miles on it then..good!? The car was running fine...it was just the stinky bluish white smoke.

Well, I have had it out for over a week and Thursday it comes in and I am told by Friday or Monday I will get it back....to be continued.....

I think i's great that Mazda is honoring their warranty with a new engine. I think the warranty issue is standard as the original is 6Y/60,000 miles?

yeah, the powertrain components are warrantied for longer than the 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I thought it was 5yr/60,000 miles but I could be wrong.

Did they suspect the turbo at all since the speed3 and 6 have had smoking issues? I would assume they did a leakdown test before shelling out that much money??

Also if it was burning oil through the exhaust that can cause the cats to become clogged up and may cause problems with the new motor. Maybe worth mentioning to them.

Shane when you say may cause problems with cats, what do you mean? catalytic converter? I told them I thought it may be the turbo and I am sure they checked for that...they did 2 days of testing on it. So it's 5 year 60,000 on the engine components? Ok, so I have a good 38,000 miles on this engine and/or 3 1/2 years left. Will update the more info. I get....hope they know how to put an engine in!

Yes, catalytic converters. I just haven't seen any engine problems being discussed, only smoking turbo's. But like I said I'm sure they know what they're doing!? But honestly if the problem is still there after the new motor it will be apparent right away!

Good luck!

Some parts of the emission system are warrantied for 80,000 miles and the cat convert is included.

Ok...spoke to the service tech...said the pistons were not seating(seeding?)properly so they were leaking. They are also replacing the turbo and I am suppose to get my car by Tuesday...that will be 2 weeks without her!! Oh well...I just hope she has no other issues!!!!

Wendy,

Sorry to hear about your latest developments...

At 38k, you are at one of the highest benchmarks I've seen documented here, I hope yours is just an isolated situation. Hopefully you will have an awesome loaner - wouldn't an RX-7 or 8 be great right about now!

Hang in and keep us posted! Good luck,

Joe

Ok...spoke to the service tech...said the pistons were not seating(seeding?)properly so they were leaking. They are also replacing the turbo and I am suppose to get my car by Tuesday...that will be 2 weeks without her!! Oh well...I just hope she has no other issues!!!!

i bet he ment sealing.. the piston rings are shot and leaking oil into the cylinder, did you also experience power loss, because you would be getting blow by on the pistons too..

Broken piston rings can be caused by detonation i.e. low grade fuel. Not seating can also be caused by too much babying the engine as they need to be pushed somewhat to seat the rings. Maybe the rings/pistons were not to spec to start with. Glad to hear Mazda is doing the right thing here. Ed

doing the right thing? short of giving the woman a new car....what else should they have done?

a new engine? nuts. at the VERY LEAST they should replace it, at the most they should buy back the car and/or give her a new one. somewhere in the middle they should do what they are doing (replace what they cant fix) and pay for her down time.

they arent doing her a favor....they are doing what they rightfully should be doing.

sorry to hear about your problems by the way, these stories blow my mind. i hope it all works out in the end. (2thumbs)

Wendy, I know it's maddening, isn't it? Ugh! I hope when you get it back, all's well, eh?

With all of these negative posts in this forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the exception. I've had my CX-7 since June 06 and at 44K miles, not a single major issue. Just had those early CELs, but nothing since! Zoom Zoom !!(dance)

Vince

My June 6th 2007 purchased CX7, now has ~12,000 trouble free miles. Not even a CEL. Fingers crossed now that I've said it. Ed

Hey gang...I am at peace with it....it is what it is and I don't have bad feelings about Mazda or anything. The only thing is I feel that the warranty should start over at least for the engine...a seperate rider stating the engine and turbo are covered for the normal duration like when purchased new. I wouldn't mind a new CX 7, but heck I put some extra additional goodies you can't remove so as long as this new engine works. Do you think this is a bad thing if I try to sell it in a couple years?? Is a new engine scarry to other buyers or a plus?? I think it could go either way. I do really miss my car big time now and hoping to hear something today. Gee, maybe I was too easy on the engine huh!? Ok...Zoom, zoom when she comes back!!!

i think they most certainly should warranty the engine from mile zero when installed. the existing warranty was for the existing engine., the new engine doesnt have 22k miles, it has 0.

you are thinking along the correct lines in terms of selling...you would def have to disclose that information if its not already reported to carfax etc.

in my eyes, it would take a certain kind of buyer to buy a car with work like that done to it....I wonder what your dealer would have to say if you were to trade your exact cx-7 in, after the repair...........................that should give you some indication of what your situation would be, and then I would chose a random dealer and see what they would do with your trade, given the work done

i think Mazda had a duty to replace the vehicle....they didnt exactly "fix" the problem, they replaced the problem.
-------------------
i kno this is a big WHAT IF....but have you asked the question of what happens when this starts smoking again? because it could happen, and i highly doubt they would install a 3rd engine in your car, and then have the balls to tell you it remains on the original warranty......also, what was their response when/if you told them NO WAY on a replacement engine? i think you would have pushed mazda's hand into a new vehicle. a new engine is not a minor repair in the least. if they brought that up to me as a solution i would tell them to go screw. it just wouldnt happen.

please dont take my post in a negetive light! as you may be, aware i went down this road, with a dealer and mazda....all my what ifs turned out to be reality, you want to be prepared in the worst case scenario. I HOPE U ARE OK THOUGH!!!!!

you now have a 2nd ENGINE ina 2007 vehicle. it would be wise to consider what lays down the road and what your options are at this point.

also.....do u know if u got a 2008 spec engine?

Mikey...some good thoughts and questions I will be posing to Mazda!! I imagine it's cheaper for Mazda to just throw in a new engine than give me a new vehicle. I am definitely going to be writing to Mazda about the warranty!! Maybe I should have been tougher on them but I have just never experienced this. I feel in the least the dealer should have put a full tank of gas in the car(I had 3/4 in it I believe and a 1/2 tank was in there), washed and waxed it and I had to ask them to clean the inside....it was lame if they even did. I came home washed it and did a quick wax job since I felt some coarseness on the paint job mainly on the hood...waxing it did not help. Wonder if this happened as it sat at the dealer or just over the winter but my gut says at the dealer.....not sure what it is but it's not smooth to the touch. I never said boo to them in 17 days...not a complaint, a bit of anger ...nothing....I was a dream customer to them but somehow I feel they should have done more....maybe even got me a top notch car to drive....got crap cars from Enterprise...which are always dirty and lame. The service tech thanked me for my patience and that's it. Now I am just a bit disgruntled. I will ask what type of engine I got. Thanks for your input and concern Mikey!

Latest posts

Back