Genuine Mazda integrated Bluetooth!

So the volume control on the steering wheel/stereo doesn't work at all? Sounds like that Bluetooth adapter has its own amp and bypasses the factory headunit altogether...ugh.

Here's the thing - on the control module for the bluetooth setup there is a plug-in for the steering wheel controls so I have no idea if you can plug this in with the Touring model and have it work with the SWC.

Oh, gotcha.

I was at a big Mazda meet today and somebody showed me how the Bluetooth setup in the Mazdaspeed3 with the Tech Package works. Super cool. I hope with the wheel controls I can get a similar effect. On his car, both the phone's volume and the car's volume worked independently, kinda like how it'd be if you had the phone plugged into the aux jack.

Alright just a slight update, I contacted Mazda who told me that I should work directly with my dealer. My dealer found out that there was a change between 2011 and 2012 model years with that trim piece, so in 2011 the button will be upside down and 2012 will be correct. Bummer, but it doesn't bug me since I don't stare at it.

I just installed my kit.. not to bad took like two hours in my garage at home. BT system works great!!! Only thing that sucks is the pause in the radio when ever a text comes through. Aside from that its awesome!!!

I just installed my kit.. not to bad took like two hours in my garage at home. BT system works great!!! Only thing that sucks is the pause in the radio when ever a text comes through. Aside from that its awesome!!!

Glad you like it! Question for you though, do your radio control buttons still light up on the radio side? Mine stopped lighting so I'm going to have to dig into it again to figure out what's wrong :(

for those of you who have done this with the touring model, does the steering wheel control volume or do you still need to control vlume through your phone?

I love the blue tooth system in my Mazdaspeed3 and would like the similar setup for my gf's 2. the volume control on steering wheel is great convenience. thanks!

I had this installed on my touring model last week, and no, the steering wheel controls do not control volume or anything else with the bluetooth. Also, I'm having an issue where my phone will auto connect for phone audio, but not media (A2DP). I have to go in and disconnect/reconnect the bluetooth in my phone each time, though this may just be an issue with my phone.

Overall it is not a very refined bluetooth package. There is no downloading of your contacts or built in voice control. You can use whatever voice control your phone may have. But it does work. I guess if a slick bluetooth system was really that important to me I would have gotten the Ford Fiesta. Better cornering won out, though.

Glad you like it! Question for you though, do your radio control buttons still light up on the radio side? Mine stopped lighting so I'm going to have to dig into it again to figure out what's wrong :(

Yeah everything works perfect

Update #2 - My button stopped working as well as the issue with the radio controls not being lit up... Turned out that when I plugged the connector into the module I didn't click it in all the way and during the course of driving it became loose. Plugged it back in and voila! Works great again :) Now to source a trim panel piece from a 2012!

Firespirit - thanks for the thread.

Can you tell me how you got the map light trim to snap back in and stay? Mine is drooping down. It's possible when I removed the trim piece I bent the metal clip too far in one direction. I wanted to check in before I try taking it back or maybe just gluing it in place with construction adhesive.

Thank you.

Update #2 - My button stopped working as well as the issue with the radio controls not being lit up... Turned out that when I plugged the connector into the module I didn't click it in all the way and during the course of driving it became loose. Plugged it back in and voila! Works great again :) Now to source a trim panel piece from a 2012!

Firespirit - thanks for the thread.

Can you tell me how you got the map light trim to snap back in and stay? Mine is drooping down. It's possible when I removed the trim piece I bent the metal clip too far in one direction. I wanted to check in before I try taking it back or maybe just gluing it in place with construction adhesive.

Thank you.

I don't have a problem with it drooping, so maybe you did bend that clip too far in. Sorry I don't have an answer for you :(

I just picked up a Mazda 2 today and the dealer installed Bluetooth. They weren't sure how long it would take to get the Mazda OEM version, but a local shop had one in stock that is very similar.

It is the Rostra Con-verse model: http://www.rostra.com/con-verse-by-rostra-custom-automotive-bluetooth.php

It works very well. I can't believe how quickly it paired the first time, and how quickly it pairs when I get in the car. Much faster than the stock system in my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The up and down arrows skip tracks if you are listening to music.

The mic is black and is clipped onto the pillar, so it's not the same style as OEM, but it works great.

I will post pics when I can. Just got the car today and it was dark by the time I got home.

Thanks for an update on this - I'd love to see pics when it's daylight out...!

Update with two images. Sorry for the iPhone photos. I left my DSLR at work. Also, one press of the button launches Siri on my iPhone - awesome!

ItKXs.jpg

ZezF7.jpg

Not a bad spot for the microphone. Looks like a decently sorted kit.

As an aside, has anyone noticed there's a little vent-like thing to the right of the wheel where I assume the OEM mic would go?

Geez, that's nuts. I'm at the point where, if this thing is almost $300 anyway, I might as well just buy an aftermarket head unit with bluetooth. I wasn't huge on the idea before, but $350 will get you a Pioneer unit with a full touchscreen, bluetooth, and all kinds of app functionality through your phone.

Back