Gear indicator scratching

velcrodog

:
Mazda, CX 5, GT
Has anyone else found the clear plastic piece that shows WHAT gear you are in beside the shifter scratches easily? I am thinking I might cut a piece of 3M clear vinyl for it.

Last edited:
Haven't noticed any problem. You could try a phone screen protector.

Haven't noticed any problem. You could try a phone screen protector.

+1

I try to hog screen protectors whenever they're on sale (XtremeGuard often goes 90% off, Skinomi for $0.99, ...), get the one for the big tablets, and cut them up for smaller things. So far, I have use them on the LCD of my cameras, my remote starter, Tascam recorder, guitar tuner, ... and even used a big one as guitar scratch guard.

The very first week I had mine, I took it to the car wash for a cleaning. As I was vacuming I ran it over the center console to suck up anything that may have gotten into the cracks. It ended up scratching the ever living s*** out of the plastic around the shifter! Still pisses me off every time I see it!

That's the problem with high-gloss piano black trim pieces. I have a house subwoofer that is high-gloss piano black, it scratches like crazy when you wipe it down, even with a microfiber cloth.

I don't like high-gloss piano black stuff. It looks good when new but quickly gets scratched.

Has anyone else found the clear plastic piece that shows that gear you are in beside the shifter scratches easily? I am thinking I might cut a piece of 3M clear vinyl for it.

Yeah, all of them I've seen, do, though. It's hard to keep high-gloss polymer from showing a scratch. I think your idea of 3M vinyl will work great. The adhesive will fill in the hairline scratches, and it will look perfect through the wrap. Replace as needed. Still, a LOT of work for something that happens in every vehicle I've seen with similar equipment.

If it's scratched, try getting some Plasti-X and rubbing that on it and seeing if you can buff the scratches out. That stuff works pretty good.

Back