Indicator stalk noise (2016 CX-5)

Hi Mazda community,

I have a 2016 CX5 and I have a slight annoyance with the way the indicator stalk feels/sounds when I use it to indicate left or right. It is not refined and feels harsh, almost like it was cracking into place. Now the wiper stock feel is much more refined and is what I would expect the indicator stalk to feel like.

Anyone else noticed this with their car?

This is what it sounds like. But hard to tell the difference between the indicator stalk sound vs the wipers stalk but it sure feels different.

Attachments

• VID_20240107_160427.mp4
    4.7 MB
It's probably just worn. Have you considered replacing it? Can't imagine it would be that expensive.

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if it's worn or if this is just how it sounds. If you guys think it's worn I will look into how it can be replaced.

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if it's worn or if this is just how it sounds. If you guys think it's worn I will look into how it can be replaced.
They are quite easy to replace and I bet you could find a used one at a salvage yard pretty easy. Also, a new one may not be that expensive as well.

It does sound cracky!

Thank you GTeyes for the reply. Do you know of instructions on how to replace them, I tried looking on YouTube but could not find for the CX-5.

The car has only done 54000 km so I'm a little surprised that it's worn already.

Thank you GTeyes for the reply. Do you know of instructions on how to replace them, I tried looking on YouTube but could not find for the CX-5.

The car has only done 54000 km so I'm a little surprised that it's worn already.
Most of the Mazda vehicles are the same. It's just a few screws.
This should help. Just skip to the part where they talk about the screws underneath the column so you can separate the top and bottom pieces of the column.

Here's another with great pics and step by step. again, Mazda 6 is most likely very similar to CX5 procedure.

Most of the Mazda vehicles are the same. It's just a few screws.
This should help. Just skip to the part where they talk about the screws underneath the column so you can separate the top and bottom pieces of the column.

Here's another with great pics and step by step. again, Mazda 6 is most likely very similar to CX5 procedure.

Thanks very much GTEyes for those links. Appreciate it!!

I replaced the left stalk when I added sequential low turn signals and had to add fog lights too (to fill the gaps). It was easy, and the stalk with the fog light switch was under $35 (3 years ago) from an online Mazda dealer.

I still have the guide, here are the relevant screenshots:

1704723142016.png

1704723154600.png

Hi Folks

Happy to report I replaced the stalk and it’s better now. I purchased the replacement from the dealer for AUD 102.

Thanks very much to all of you that responded and to Redbaron for those clear instructions.

Back