Gas mileage question

Mine is still getting under 25mpg :(

Help us with some information to make the 25 mpg meaningful. Is your CX-5 fwd or awd? What kind of driving conditions? (traffic, city, highway, hills, flat, etc.)

Im getting 27.5 mpg with 90% city in my gt. i only drive in manual mode and usually keep it in a lower gear than auto mode does for cruising up to 2500 rpm or so.

Help us with some information to make the 25 mpg meaningful. Is your CX-5 fwd or awd? What kind of driving conditions? (traffic, city, highway, hills, flat, etc.)

Mine is the GT AWD. Mostly suburban driving with hardly any highway driving. I do hit the accelerator kind of hard sometimes in manual mode but I don't think I'm a leadfoot by any means. Looks like from some other posts that the mostly suburban driving might be keeping the mpgs down. The mileage does get slightly better each fill up though. :)

Looking at Fuelly, I'm surprised the diesel models are not getting significantly better fuel economy. Isn't that one of the top reasons to get a diesel? How successful will it be when they finally bring it to the US? How many people are willing to pay a premium on a CUV for some bump in torque? Plus most US drivers are ignorant and still see diesel as an expensive, dirty fuel used in big rigs and heavy equipment.

Looking at Fuelly, I'm surprised the diesel models are not getting significantly better fuel economy. Isn't that one of the top reasons to get a diesel? How successful will it be when they finally bring it to the US? How many people are willing to pay a premium on a CUV for some bump in torque? Plus most US drivers are ignorant and still see diesel as an expensive, dirty fuel used in big rigs and heavy equipment.

Honestly I think they should get a bit better mpg but the biggest advantage is the extra power. Double the torque will make a world of a difference in real world driving. The car will feel really fast over taking and such.

Diesel power

Hello All,

I would be interested in purchasing a CX-5 Diesel powered car only.. would not buy the gasser version due to my exposure to TDI engines in the last 10 years. Have you ever driven a newly designed turbo diesel, its an incredible forceful engine that delivers good gas millage with great power. Its a night and day difference between the gasoline model.

Mazda has a winner with the CX-5 but needs Diesel option to distinguish itself from other competitive cars.

Regards, GOTDI

I'm now at a lifetime total of 32.2 MPG with a best tank of 36.7 MPG. This is better than I had expected, to be honest. I have the 6MT with gasoline engine.

I'm now at a lifetime total of 32.2 MPG with a best tank of 36.7 MPG. This is better than I had expected, to be honest. I have the 6MT with gasoline engine.

I hope I get your numbers with my 6MT. Only got 25.2 on my first tank, but that was with 80-90% city driving in the Bay Area

I've noticed that the best mileage numbers are achieved with speeds in the 35-45 mph range. my last tank was 33.1 with about 80% interstate and the rest suburban roads at 40 mph. Average speed was 41 mph.

I put 1100 miles on the CX-5 the first 3 days I've had it.
FWD automatic I'm Averaging 33.5 MPG

So we just drove from Dallas,TX to northern Wisconsin. Total trip was just over 1300 miles. First tank took us from our house to the first gas station off of the Kansas turnpike with an average MPG of 37.7...cruise control set at 73 mph. Second tank of gas was a bad tank..engine running rough and what not but still average 30 MPGs. The rest of the trip we averaged
32-33.5 MPG with the cruise control set between 75-80 the entire trip. For the speeds we were driving and using cruise control I was very impressed. The only issue with the trip was that we ended up blowing out the sidewall of one of the tires about 50 miles north of Des Moines. We then called Yokohama and found the closest dealer. They were able to order the tire and we were able to get it replaced. But after inspecting the tire there was a nail or screw in the tread that had come out and released the all of the air out of the tire and we drove on the flat for a while without noticing it and shredded the tire. We have a few weeks on vacation and well see what the return trip brings.

Two tanks in, I'm still only getting less than 550km per tank (dash is showing 9.1L/100km or 26MPG). This is probably about 80% city, but I was still expecting better. Going on a road trip next week, so hoping to see some better numbers then.

i just finished my first tank. drove 541 km and used 35 L of gas which is 6.5L/100KM or over 36 mpg. it takes a very conservative driving habit to accomplish this on the CX-5. no fast starts (kept the fuel consumption under 20L/100KM while accelerating). while cruising kept the fuel consumption under 7.8L/100KM while doing 60 KPH in the city and under 6.0L/100KM while doing 100 KPH on the highway. coasted going downhill and kept the pedal steady while going uphill despite losing speed going uphill. my driving is 33% city and 67 % highway with only a 4.5KM stretch that is congested where i average about 27 KPH on the highway otherwise there's no traffic for me. i also turn off the engine whenever possible such as coasting into a parking spot or while waiting at a crossing for a train. only used the A/C on the highway and turned it off in the city.

i just finished my first tank. drove 541 km and used 35 L of gas which is 6.5L/100KM or over 36 mpg. it takes a very conservative driving habit to accomplish this on the CX-5. no fast starts (kept the fuel consumption under 20L/100KM while accelerating). while cruising kept the fuel consumption under 7.8L/100KM while doing 60 KPH in the city and under 6.0L/100KM while doing 100 KPH on the highway. coasted going downhill and kept the pedal steady while going uphill despite losing speed going uphill. my driving is 33% city and 67 % highway with only a 4.5KM stretch that is congested where i average about 27 KPH on the highway otherwise there's no traffic for me. i also turn off the engine whenever possible such as coasting into a parking spot or while waiting at a crossing for a train. only used the A/C on the highway and turned it off in the city.

Hmmmm...I don't think you have to be that conservative. I'm getting around 6.2L/100km and don't do half the stuff you mention (i.e., turning off the car when coasting, keeping below 20L/100km while accelerating, etc.). I find that once at a cruising speed, the consumption can be as low as mid 4s (city) and 5s (highway) and that makes up for everything else. As well, the car is very aggressive in turning off the engine while coasting, which also helps.

Obviously your situation isn't mine, so if I drove your route perhaps I'd be getting 7L/100km instead.

By they way, does anyone find that they are obsessed with the fuel mileage/consumption gauge? I've never had a car with it before and find myself staring at it all the time (relatively speaking of course).

By they way, does anyone find that they are obsessed with the fuel mileage/consumption gauge? I've never had a car with it before and find myself staring at it all the time (relatively speaking of course).

Yes! I was going to post yesterday that I think I am slightly addicted to checking that current mpg all the time. I will only cycle through the other information occasionally, but am always on the current read-out. I can't stop! I even found myself wanting to fill-up the other day to check my calculated mileage against the vehicle read-out (I was only at half a tank). I have also found my vehicle read-out to almost match my calculated, difference is a little less than .5.

Yes! I was going to post yesterday that I think I am slightly addicted to checking that current mpg all the time. I will only cycle through the other information occasionally, but am always on the current read-out. I can't stop! I even found myself wanting to fill-up the other day to check my calculated mileage against the vehicle read-out (I was only at half a tank). I have also found my vehicle read-out to almost match my calculated, difference is a little less than .5.

Same here.... I'm going to start writing down some of the numbers.... thinking that, then I can tell if the vehicle is getting better after 1000 miles on it..... (or worse).
Today, in 6th gear, at around 1800 RPM, I was getting 42.9MPG (cruise on / air conditioning on)

I used to use Amzoil PI (injector cleaner, w/ some additives), in my VW Rabbit.... seemed to help w/ keeping the engine running good. I'm thinking that w/ the direct injection (w/ multiple "jets" for each cylinder), in the Mazda, that the Amzoil PI product might be good to use. When/if, I see the numbers fall, when tracking the MPG, I'll try some of the Amzoil injector cleaner.... just to see if it works.

About 200 miles new. Averaging around 27-28mpg. All city driving with no higher than 45mph signs. 87 octane. Mainly flat streets. Easy/steady speed build up after lights and gradual breaking to a stop. Coasting if possible.

I've noticed the same thing. When I fill up my range displays 630-640 km. When I finish the tank, it's more like 550-580 km (all city). It's an auto FWD. I'm hoping this will improve with time as there are draw backs to having sky active (lightweight hood that wobbles, loud engine idle, expensive synthetic oil to name a few) and I would hope it would at least put us at the top of the class for fuel economy. Our friends recently purchased an Equinox and they are posting similar numbers. Kind of a let down but at the same time at least my CX-5 will be worth something in 5 years lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back