Gas mileage question

Just came back from an 1100 mile trip from San Diego to Fresno, back to Bakersfield, through the mountains over to the 14, then up to 395 and on to Mammoth. Then a week in Mammoth and Bishop area climbing and back to SD. The car averaged once parked in my driveway 41.8 for the whole trip. This is a stick and I rarely exceeded 65mph but am very impressed.

Dang, that's better than my hybrid. Can't wait to see the numbers once the engine gets broken in!

Hi,

My CX-5 / 6SpM / FWD has 1493Km (927.7 Miles) on the ODO.

I can honestly say that I do not drive it hard, the numbers will confirm.

This is :
  • 85% city driving in Montreal stop and go traffic (average speed of 25 Km/h),
  • 15% highway driving at an average speed of 100Km/h (62 MPH).

The car computer says 7.6 L/100Km (30.9 US MPG / 37.16 Imp. MPG)

From what I have seen here and there, someone who just drives, without restrictions, normal driving, will go up to an average of :
8.8 L/100Km (26.72 US MPG / 32.1 Imp. MPG).

In ANY case, this is quite nice.

Can't wait to see what numbers will be coming out of this CX-5 when it hits 15 000Km (9320 Miles)....

(wiggle) (wiggle)

P.S. :
I do not give a ding dong if other drivers find me slow.... I'm the one slowing down because they halt the traffic flow in front of me !!

new guy here.

first tank was 1/2 city , 1/2 highway. wife drove half of the first tank. we got about 32 mpg for the first tank.

second tank, mostly, highway, 38 mpg. regular easy driving, 60-70 mph.

only thing i do is set cruise control on highway and let it run.

regards

In our normal routine of short trips (drop kids to school, groceries, commute to work) all in suburbia, our CX-5 returns around 26.8 mpg. On longer trips, still on surface streets (no highway) it starts creeping up in the 27's. On the highway, it returns low 30's. We still haven't taken a mostly highway longer trip yet.

Can anyone here from Canada get the mileage that Mazda Canada has been advertising? Or anybody from anywhere for that matter. The say it gets 50 mpg hwy and 37 city has any come even close.

It's almost impossible to get the mileage advertised in Canada because the calculation method is very far from real world driving. The U.S. method is closer and the government should move eventually to the same method. They've already stopped testing car themselves since they say they can rely on the values from the cars tested in the U.S. because they are so similar.

1st Fill-up on my CX-5 Touring AWD averaged 27.5MPG. Combined Highway and City. I am very happy coming from a Jeep that got 17MPG. Hoping that it just keeps getting better.

1st Fill-up on my CX-5 Touring AWD averaged 27.5MPG. Combined Highway and City. I am very happy coming from a Jeep that got 17MPG. Hoping that it just keeps getting better.

What Jeep did you have before? The last Jeep I owned was a 2002 Jeep Liberty, it consistently averaged about 17MPG.

Did my best tank last week, 8.2L/100 at the pump, computer showed 7.9L/100. This was mostly daily commute with mix of city and highway, with a lot of stop/start in the traffic. I drove very very soft, with very little acceleration.

Becoming more and more impressed with the fuel economy.

I noted the fuel light for the very first time tonight, mainly because I was filling early. I was expecting the worst performance of any fuel fill though, simply because it's been 600km of pure city driving. We have been in too many traffic jams lately, so I think at least 4-5 hours worth of the tank was in stop-start traffic where the i-Stop kicked in a lot (actually, we use i-Stop so often, it's impossible to count the savings - but I suspect it adds up).

The stop-start traffic ridden fuel tank was:
7.2L/100 (or 32.6mpg)

Getting closer to the Australian Government test results.

The city tests by the Australian government were:
Petrol FWD - 8.0L/100km (29.4mpg)
Petrol AWD - 8.2L/100km (28.6mpg)
Diesel AWD - 6.7L/100km (35.1mpg)

I think 7.2L/100km is very good for stop start traffic, and mainly staying in 4th gear.
I noted today that the Diesel doesn't kick into 6th until the highways. Not sure about when the petrol gets into 6th.

The 7.2L result will no doubt help to improve the Fuelly figure below, which is just continuing to get better on each fill up.

Becoming more and more impressed with the fuel economy.

I noted the fuel light for the very first time tonight, mainly because I was filling early. I was expecting the worst performance of any fuel fill though, simply because it's been 600km of pure city driving. We have been in too many traffic jams lately, so I think at least 4-5 hours worth of the tank was in stop-start traffic where the i-Stop kicked in a lot (actually, we use i-Stop so often, it's impossible to count the savings - but I suspect it adds up).

The stop-start traffic ridden fuel tank was:
7.2L/100 (or 32.6mpg)

Getting closer to the Australian Government test results.

The city tests by the Australian government were:
Petrol FWD - 8.0L/100km (29.4mpg)
Petrol AWD - 8.2L/100km (28.6mpg)
Diesel AWD - 6.7L/100km (35.1mpg)

I think 7.2L/100km is very good for stop start traffic, and mainly staying in 4th gear.
I noted today that the Diesel doesn't kick into 6th until the highways. Not sure about when the petrol gets into 6th.

The 7.2L result will no doubt help to improve the Fuelly figure below, which is just continuing to get better on each fill up.

7.2L is an excellent figure to me for city driving, most certainly helped by i-Stop. To put in contrast, I am mostly doing a mix of city and "highway" (more of a suburban highway than a real one) these days and the last fuel ups have all been around 8.7L (~27MPG) which is much closer to US EPA estimates (25/31) than our own very optimistic Canadian government estimates of 8.0L/6.4L…

I just have installed my summer tires now, we'll see if it improves fuel economy somewhat.

I have had my FWD, manual tranny CX 5 for almost a month. The computer says I'm getting 30.5 mpg but I'm getting 29.5 by my calculation. I'm on my fourth tank of gas. I love this car. It is easy to drive and shifts like a dream.

**Updated 5/18/12**

Ok, so I've only filled up the tank twice now. Here's the way I'm calcing it:

There are 15 ticks on the fuel gauge and tank capacity is 15.3 gallons (if you look at it in quarters, the 1st 3 quarters have 3 ticks, last quarter has 6)
- That comes out to 1.02 gals per tick (15.3/15 = 1.02)

On the first tank of gas, had 330 miles on it and refueled with 3 ticks left on the gauge:
So, 12 ticks @ 1.02gals/tick = 12.24 gals used; 330/12.24 = 27mpg (26.96 rounded up)

Second tank is 9 ticks in:
- at the quarter tank mark (3 ticks*1.02 = 3.06; had 110 miles at this point, so 110/3.06 = 36mpg [35.947 rounded up])
- at current, (9 ticks * 1.02 = 9.18; have 242.1 as of when I parked in the garage at work, so 242.1/9.18 = 26mpg)

The dash is showing an average of 22.7mpg, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. Will keep you all posted and will look into registering for Fuelly.com. Only have 953 miles on the car as of today.

Last edited:
update
got about 1800 miles on it now

was stuck at 37.4MPG but apparently last 2 gas fill ups were the summer blend because my fuel economy just keeping going up, now at 37.9MPG I will post a pic when/if it reaches 38MPG
this is 50% hwy at 65-70MPH and 50% rural backroads at 40MPH, very little urban/city setting

The thing ive noticed is this car sings at 35-45mph no stops. If you can hold those speeds you will get 40-41mpg. Once you get above 50-55 the mpg starts dropping off.

an update on my last tank. hand calculated at 35.2mpg and this is 0 highway and all city with stretches of 45mph zones and lots of stop lights. I was not driving as nice as I was on the tank prior when i got above 37.

what you're Try of premium fuel. I think I do more kilometers with a tank with that of the ordinary fuel
I do a 6.2 liters 100km. I tested with fuelly.com

The thing ive noticed is this car sings at 35-45mph no stops.

Problem with that is that there is no highway in Australia that allows that painfully slow speed. The slowest speed on the Australian highway is 100km/h (62.137mph). The fastest speed is 130km/h (80.778mph).

I've seen 80km/h during construction (49.710mph).
So if you were driving between 35-45mph you would have everyone beeping at you for driving like a grandma.

Driving on UK highways, they take no prisoners. If you plan on going that slow, you better have a good reason and stay to the far left.

They expect slow speeds on Japanese highways. They're at a maximum of 80km/h (49.710mph).

In the western world, I believe the US has got some of the slowest highway speeds. It also has some of the slowest and most polite drivers.
The times I've driven in the US, I've wondered why everyone is so slow. I was getting annoyed, particularly in parts of LA. It felt like driving around in a very big Australian country town. The drivers are so damn laid back. San Francisco is a little more hectic. But driving in Manhattan felt more like back in Sydney. Arm yourself with a horn and a big attitude.

The way they drive in the less busy states though, It's no wonder you get such good mpg :)

Last edited:
what you're Try of premium fuel. I think I do more kilometers with a tank with that of the ordinary fuel
I do a 6.2 liters 100km. I tested with fuelly.com

It's a proven fact that you get more bang for your buck with 98.

Three petroleum fuels are generally available in Australia: 91, 95 and 98 (that's in international octane standards btw). The Petrol CX-5 is re-tuned like the US/Canada model and takes 91 in Australia, which is almost identical to the US AKI 87.

To prove the fuel theory, an experiment was done by one of the local car shows to determine which fuel was best.
Tests done in three identical vehicles suited to 91 - each carrying 91, 95 and 98 are driven around a track at identical speeds until empty and their range measured. They are then filled twice with an exact and identical measurement of 91, 95, 98 respectively. And this is repeated twice to eliminate inconsistencies.

The test shows that the first fuel to fail is 91 followed very quickly by 95. The car using 98 lasted a much longer distance.

The cost was calculated for each fuel then divided by the distance travelled.
The end result was that the 98 was the cheapest per kilometre, following by almost identical cost per km for 95 and 91.

Fuel costs in Australia vary the most on 91. So sometimes it can be extremely cheap, and other days it can be expensive. The 98 fuel will also fluctuate, but to a lesser degree.
Strangely, Diesel is almost a fixed price and typically the same price as 98 when it's at its cheapest.

Per kilometre, Diesel would be cheapest (despite being the most expensive per volume), followed by 98, 95 and 91 (despite being the cheapest per volume).

Back