G-series 5sp Transmission: Complete Teardown & Rebuild w/LSD & 5th Gear Swap

i'm guesssing prevent vibrations, i don't know.
it is lose in there...serves no purpose in my opinion...but a mazda engineer must have thought it'll be nice to add it.
if you are missing this part i can give it to you for free...i don't need it.

so i finished my transmission rebuild today.
as i sadi before, i was using a 626 tranny from a unknown year.
this transmission turned out to be exactly like my 2003.5 g series.
only difference was that the shorter shaft was actually a little bigger than the shorter shaft on my 2003 g series.
that and that the fifth gear looked nothing like the pictures i've seen in this post.

everyhting works just fine but no 5th gear like the others.

Has anyone broken the plastic oil passage that sticks through the case and feeds the 5th gears? (Looks around) I did tonight and I have not been able to find them for sale online. Anyone have any idea what I can do? Does the stealership sell them? I don't want to go buy a whole spare trans just for the passage (with my luck I'll break both of them).

in my opinion, you'll be fine without it.
you won't blow the tranmission because of that,.

i've done it in the past and it've been fine. oil will still make it to those gears

I thought about leaving it, but I race my car in time attack and wasn't sure if enough oil would make it to the gears under lateral loads. I ended up ordering one for the low, low price of $29.09 from the dealership. Cross my fingers that I don't break that one when I reinstall the case!

lol. i think i would be more worried about the motor oil pan than this..but i'm guessing you already have a blaffled pan?

balance shaft?

what r u talking about?
MS3?

also, i just finished installing my transmission.
not to proude of the shortcuts i made but it should work for a little while while i get a better place to work at and more money to fix it correctly.

Mazda 3 2.3L, but the ms3 also has a balance shaft. I'll shoot you a PM so we don't wander off topic in this thread.

Now... what is that part and what does it do that wasn't being done in the older version? :D
figured it out
this part is in place of some gears that used to be on the older revision of the tranny.
notice also how the other gear has a sleeve to fit in to the gap.

i noticed that on the MSP transmission, this sleve wasn't there and the axle that holds all the gears was shorter to compensate for that.
which makes me believe that there is no way to install a fifth gear swap?
i'm still confused about that.

I was using this thread as a reference to install an mfactory LSD (MF-TRS-05G28) in my G35MR (2005 Mazda 3). I know others have as well, so I though I'd share this tidbit of info I found during my install. You don't need to modify the speed gear. Even if you needed to I'd suggest installing the speed gear unmodified, then cutting it down with an exacto knife (the material the gear is made of is quite soft and easy to cut).

Here's a pic of the gear modified and installed on the MFactory unit (there is about 1.5mm of space between where the bearing will seat and the top of the modified speed gear):

photo-71.jpg

Here is a pic of the unmodified speed gear (apologies for the fuzziness):

photo-72.jpg

With the bearing installed:

photo-73.jpg

BTW, if anyones needs a brand new, modified speed gear shoot me a PM (boom01)

That's a different spacing setup than what we have on the 03/03.5 MSP LSD. The MFactory LSD might be okay though...

There's no harm in modifying the speedo ring... it's just going to be turning w/ the diff... a little slop won't matter... though, it is nice to have the piece of mind knowing that it is nice and tight I suppose.

yeah the original lsd from the msp has to have the speedo gear modified in order to sit right.. otherwise it won't be flush.. so the mfactory doesn't need speedogear modified.. and all you need is a file to file down the tab.. takes like 2 mins

so i have just done the swap...working on getting everything hooked back up.........but driver's side axle will NOT go in....wtf.......who's got pointers?

it has to go in..chekc the security rin on the front
sometimes it gets ****** up, if so take it out and fix it...
that little piece will keep you from getting it in..
you can also use a hammering motion with the whole assembly...from the hub

Back