G-series 5sp Transmission: Complete Teardown & Rebuild w/LSD & 5th Gear Swap

I have a question I'm hoping some one can answer. I have the exact same tranny in this write up, I spun the primary and secondary 5th gears. I've ordered new parts and there on the way. The problem I'm having is that the sleeve gear the primary 5 Th gear sits on will not come off.
It's taking a Beating from low oil and I'm wondering if the sleeve gear should just slide off or if anyone has any suggestions on how to remove it.

I am a little confused as to what axles to use. Can you use the 28 spline axles with the LSD or does it have to be the 26 spline?

You don't have to get new axles if you have a 3rd gen protege.

Does anyone know what the distance is between the bearing and diff / speed gear (I.e., in the 'good' picture)? If I don't press the bearing on all the way, will it seat to the correct position when I torque the case shut? I haven't seen any shims in that area to keep the spacing, and in my shop manual there is no information in the differential assembly section that addresses the bearing install; it roughly says "install the bearing", and nothing else.

I've been stockpiling tools and spare parts to tackle this install on my G35MR, which will begin in about 2 weeks time (need a trans jack still), I just want to make sure all my bases are covered. TIA for any advice.

Pics from the OP for reference:

Good

076.jpg

Bad

077.jpg

the distance from the bearing to the speedo doesn't matter.. the only thing you need to make sure of is if the bearing is pressed flush with the top.. the speedo gear will have a lil place.. and you need to file the tabs to fit it right otherwise it won't let the bearing spin freely lemme see if i got pix from when i did it. the bad pic above is the bearing not pressed full on that is no good.. the top of the bearing needs to be with the top of the lsd. and youll be good

like this. flush on the top.. there will be a bit of a gap between the bearing and the speedo gear. but everyone who's done this had one..
IMG_20110216_165923.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone able to tell me what this opening is for? Bought an older G-series housing and this seems to be the only visible difference. The opening is on the newer version.

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

weight reduction?
lol

just kidding, i have no idea..
but what years are both cases?
Anyone able to tell me what this opening is for? Bought an older G-series housing and this seems to be the only visible difference. The opening is on the newer version.

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Is it a threaded or anything? I don't see why the hole would be there maybe ask the original owner if they did it?? I don't think it'll male a difference either way.. might mess up the flow of gear oil but idk.. never seen that before

It is part of the casting. The opening is in the newer one. The older one (which I just got) doesn't have the opening. It is not threaded.

i am pretty shure you'll need that hole in the new series..
as far a si understand, between the old and the new, some things change.
i noticed this when i took apart the older g-series and the nuts that hold 5th gear were 32MM and 27MM
in the new g-series, both nuts that hold 5th gear are 32MM
so yes, there are differences between the two.

i have both transmissions (newer with 3rd and 4th gone) and i could take a look at both since i need to take apart the older 626 one to install an LSD.
i really hope i don't have to grind down anything.
only other concern is the worm gear for the speedo.
but i don't care much about having no speedo..there is always GPS, right?
lol

Again... the hole IS in the new one. The old one doesn't have it and hence the question... What is it for?

ok, ****.
you got me intrigued.
nice going there buddy.

i have a 2003 G series tranny in which i shredded 3rd and 4th.
i also have a 1998 626 G series.
now, i've always contemplated the tranny e idea of just swapping out the internals instead of just swapping out the transmission.
you, sir..have gave the idea that this is actually possible!

i already bought the 27mm and 32mm sockets to accomplish this.
i'm planning on doing this today and creating a video of it.
i will inspect every detail about this.

i will let you guys knwo how it went.

ok, so i took apart my transmission and found out the following:

i don't remember exactly what year 626 i got the transmission from but it is EXACTLY the same as the protege 2003 transmisison.
i believe the 626 was like a 98-99 year.

first, the LSD drops in wihtout the need to shave anything. i compared both housings from the "OLD" tranny and a 2003.5 masdaspeed protege and they are IDENTICAL. same everyhting.
another peculiar thing, as opposed to what the OP said, both nuts on top were in fact 32MM and not a 27MM and 32MM as the OP had said.
this lead me to believe that in fact there are TWO types of transmissions.
i will suggest that if you go to a junkyard and would like to make sure you are getting a transmission that would have the LSD just drop it, to take off the black oil pan on the side and make sure BOTH nuts are 32MM.

i will be able to prove this theory once i break this transmission again.
i found out what that hole you were talking about is.
it holds a part that has a long rod.
this are the pictures i could snap.
i'll snap more today

IMG_20120403_202546.jpg

on this picture you can see exactly what goes on that hole.
IMG_20120403_215704.jpg

IMG_20120403_204848.jpg

let me know if you have any more quetsions.
you can txt me at (786) 567-8643 and i'll be more than happy to snap more pictures if you need to.

also, no video..soryr..i am doing this alone and i don't feel like putting grease on my video equipment.

Last edited:
Now... what is that part and what does it do that wasn't being done in the older version? :D

Back