full coil on plug ignition setup

teeter

Sorry for the newbie Protege5 question. I searched and didn't come up with anything concrete...

So the stock protege5 ignition is a bastardized version of true coil on plug...and people seem to have issues with it a lot.

I'm curious if anyone has retrofitted a full set of true coil of plugs...thus eliminating the plug wires all together...

I come from the turbo 4g63 mitsubishi world (also a direct fire waste spark system) and this is a relatively common change to increase the reliability of the ignition system... It seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to engineer up...

john

Would require special valve cover & power source for 2 more coils but not overly crazy to make. Could maybe use an adapter on the mounting points already there to give other 2 coils something to bolt to. Electrical doesn't seem that far fetched but the improvement in reliability & performance gains would probably deter most. Just my 2 cents.

what problems have people been having?

I know of more than on 300+ hp protege 5's that are using stock ignition systems

Matt

Corksports drag Protege used 4 coils, but they used a standalone to control everything from what I remember.

Back