Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy

:
Mazda, Protege5 2002
I have a 2012 Mazda2 Touring Auto. I know A lot of you have notice that the fuel gauge is inaccurate. am very surprise that mazda messed up such a simple thing.

I know this topic has been talked about before. but my question is: Has anyone written/contacted to mazda about the issue? I know i am going to. most TSB are generate this way, by customer complains.

I know i will write to them. but will you guys do so to? my letter by itself is going to do nothing for mazda to start a TSB to fix the issue.

as consumer we need to learn to raise question and complains when there is an issue and prompt for improvements for future vehicles.

so whos with me? who will write ?

Honestly, at least with my 2, the fuel gauge "inaccuracy" seems like more of a safety feature than anything. Yea, it does kind of suck that when my gauge reads empty, it really has 2-3 gallons left. It's probably better that way because there are a lot of idiots out there that like to literally run on fumes. Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be writing in. I'm also thinking of getting rid of mine so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I'm almost positive there was a posting about this earlier that indicated from mazda that it had to do with where the pump was located relative to the fuel level. i.e. you might hve two gallons left in the tank, but one of those gallons was below the level of the pump.

it could be they want to protect the fuel injection pump.
They're expensive, and can be damaged if run dry.
I reset my trip meter @ fill-up, and refuel @ 300 miles.
So far 300 miles has always been < 10 gallons.

Why risk damaging the fuel pump or possibly even leaning out the motor.

I agree that the "Inacuracy" might have been done on purpose to protect Mazda from "People of Questionable Intelligence" from trying to make it to that next gas station down I95..

Back