Fuel Economy

I am beginning to take back my criticism of the Cruise Control. In around city whenever I have used it - it seems to do a great great job of giving fantastic mpg. downshifts to maintain speed and save more fuel (engine braking).
I have had a couple of rough days of driving. All time low of 20 just in bad bad traffic. Will post if I see any more improvements.

Someone asked this on Facebook just the other day, so it's fresh in my mind. Average over my first 2500 miles: 25 mpg. Best on a 40-50 mile highway trip: 35 mpg.

I just moved from San Antonio to Portland, Oregon. I documented all my miles and gas used. Before leaving I did a quick trip to Houston and back, with a fairly empty car and got over 40 mpg. But leaving San Antonio, there was two of us and a packed full CX-5. There was no more space to spare.

Total miles 2141
Total gas used 59 gallons.
Average mpg is 36

This trip also included a side trip to Arches National Park. So I am happy with the fully loaded car I still beat the EPA estimate of 35mpg.
Car now has 62,000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 495
  • IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 428
Last edited:
First time tossing in my .02 on a mpg thread. Had mine over a year now and it fluctuates between 27 dead winter snow on ground to best 30ish spring fall and 29ish in heat of summer doing same road trip to Washington over a mountain pass. Got 28.4 from Boise to Salt Lake City and back doing 80 the entire way last month.

I have a 2.0 MT 2016, bought it used with 15k on it. So far it has averaged 34MPG with 50% city/highway mix. Early shifting and not gunning it at every light seems to be the key. I have snow tires on it right now. Hoping to swap out with some Ecopia tires from Bridgestone - maybe get 1 MPG better - who knows.

Update - best mixed drive this morning topped 35 mpg. Peak was 35.9 then some bad lights caused a bit of wait - ended at 35.2 Really happy.
Tank is at 29. Evening seems to be the key - bad traffic pulling my numbers down.

Almost at 4k miles and averaging 24.5. This damn traffic really pulls my numbers down. I was able to take a short trip last weekend and averaged 35MPG which was neat, but there was zero traffic.

Almost at 4k miles and averaging 24.5. This damn traffic really pulls my numbers down. I was able to take a short trip last weekend and averaged 35MPG which was neat, but there was zero traffic.

On city streets in traffic all bets are off.. gotta floor it to make the next light and prevent people from cutting in. But you can get excellent fuel economy on LA freeways in heavy traffic.

It's easier with the manual transmission, but the trick is to drive in such a way that you don't need to brake very often.
Look 20+ cars ahead. If the cars are braking get off the gas.. by the time you get to the braking point the cars will have already accelerated back up to 10MPH and you'll have coasted for 30 seconds and you won't have to brake.
Google maps with live traffic also helps.. there is zero point in going 80 when you know there is a slow down a few miles ahead. Better to gradually slow down ahead of the jam. It also helps prevent you from having to slam.

Google maps also helps you know when a jam is over.. no need to accelerate with everyone up to 45MPH just to be stopped 200 yards further.

It takes full concentration to do it right, but it turns a "stop and go" drive into a somewhat rewarding game.
The reward is 40+MPG instead of 20MPG and much less wear and tear on the car.

My 2016.5 has 6500 miles. I have a 30-mile commute and I generally get 30.5. I did a long trip through mountains, and it dropped to 28.5 for that trip.

I wonder, though --- I used to have a Jeep Compass with the CVT, and I would never, ever push that thing, b/c it wouldn't go fast, so why bother? I think that driving experience has primed me to not accelerate fast at the beginning, and I think that drives my mpg up to the 30 range.

19 seems super low. Do you think of yourself as a really aggressive driver? Or, are there an awful lot of stops/starts on your drive?

My 2016.5 has 6500 miles. I have a 30-mile commute and I generally get 30.5. I did a long trip through mountains, and it dropped to 28.5 for that trip.

I wonder, though --- I used to have a Jeep Compass with the CVT, and I would never, ever push that thing, b/c it wouldn't go fast, so why bother? I think that driving experience has primed me to not accelerate fast at the beginning, and I think that drives my mpg up to the 30 range.

19 seems super low. Do you think of yourself as a really aggressive driver? Or, are there an awful lot of stops/starts on your drive?

First post was made years ago. This has morphed into a general FE discussion for Gen1 owners.
CX5 highway FE is a little poor - my personal best on hwy is 32.1 :D

First post was made years ago. This has morphed into a general FE discussion for Gen1 owners.
CX5 highway FE is a little poor - my personal best on hwy is 32.1 :D

Mine is 31.xx, averaged both directions for a total of something like 20ish miles, but I had to drive like a douche and was a traffic hazard. I just wanted to see what all these tinystaters were talking about, and yeah, if you coast up hills and gently squeeze the pedal doing down the hill and drive 55 to 60, you can meet sticker on the "highway "

So far with just about 80% Atlanta city driving I'm averaging 22.5mpg on a AWD 2017 CX-5. It's hilly, lots of stop lights, lots of traffic.

Took a longer 40 mile round trip and the computer shows just about 29mpg for that trip.

So far with just about 80% Atlanta city driving I'm averaging 22.5mpg on a AWD 2017 CX-5. It's hilly, lots of stop lights, lots of traffic.

Took a longer 40 mile round trip and the computer shows just about 29mpg for that trip.

We are doing identically. I average 21-23, typically in the 22's. My average speed is 32mph typically. Sometimes 31, sometimes 33. I re-set after every tank, and it ends up there, after every tank.

My 2017 AWD average on the cars first tank of gas was like around 31 mpg. Right now my car says my average is 27.1 mpg and I've driven 112 miles so far on the first quarter tank of gas. Most of my commute is between 40-60 mph, so that probably helps.

23.6 MPG here with 1600 miles (1k city,600 hwy). Good enough for me, although it will probably ride a little more anyways.

With 18XX miles on my Grand Touring 2016.5 AWD I embarked on a 3000ish mile road trip. The first 1450 miles were fill up, drive down the highway until empty then fill up again and repeat. On the interstates I usually drive at the posted speed plus 10% + 3 which means I am generally moving a bit faster than most cars on the road but not blowing by anyone. 2 people, enough luggage for 10 days on the road in case anyone is calculating weight into mileage.

I averaged 28.3 MPG for the first 1469 miles (getting there). By the time I got home I had done 3137 miles and averaged 27.7 over the entire trip. That means 2900 of the 3137 were pretty much straight highway with posted speeds ranging from 75MPH to 55MPH driving and the rest were putting around a couple of small towns.

When posting your fuel efficiency numbers it would be very helpful to know if you have two wheel or all wheel drive, thanks.

When posting your fuel efficiency numbers it would be very helpful to know if you have two wheel or all wheel drive, thanks.
Agreed. Not like others, for CX-5's they make big difference on MPG between FWD and AWD.

Back