Fuel door locking pin - dropped into body! Whoops!

MartyMng

:
2007 Mazda5 Touring
The fuel door was not clicking shut on my 2007 Mazda5. I found the problem. One of the two pins in the fuel door latch was not extending to grab the door when closed. It was stuck inside the housing. I figured a little lubricant would fix it up. I took off the retaining nut and lubricated the pin. It almost seemed to be lubricated enough to extend on its own when I accidentally knokced the whole pin down into the hole!

I think I will need to disassemble the interior body to find the pin. I am assuming that it is on the end of the fuel door release cable, just swinging around. Has anyone needed to get in there for anything? I'm not sure what the best way to start disassembling to interior trim is. Anyone had luck with a Chilton/Haynes manual? Or perhaps the official service manual? Anyone know what the part would be called? I couldn't seem to find a replacement part.

If you have one of those magnets on a stick - you may be able to grab the pin. The service manual has the procedure to remove the side panels. I think you need to remove the back seat to remove the side panel. Good Luck

If you have one of those magnets on a stick - you may be able to grab the pin. The service manual has the procedure to remove the side panels. I think you need to remove the back seat to remove the side panel. Good Luck

I found the service manual. Looks like a big process to get the inside panels off. And I'm still not sure if I will be able to access the dropped cable once I do that! I may try it weather permitting. Would like to get this fixed before winter!

Back