Fuel Cooler..

TX2000

:
Mazda 3 MS sedan
i was wandering what else i can do to my car to gain a lil mor power and i was thinking to add a fuel cooler....

would it make any diference.. or just wasting my time/$$ ...

FUEL cooler? what the heck would cooling your fuel do? ... I suppose it might cool the air once mixed.. denser intake charge right? (shrug)

TX2000 said:
i was wandering what else i can do to my car to gain a lil mor power and i was thinking to add a fuel cooler....

would it make any diference.. or just wasting my time/$$ ...
How hot do you think the fuel is anyway?

After going through the fuel cooler, the fuel still has to make it all the way to the injectors.

Fuel is used far slower than air... 14.5: 1 approximately. (Stoichiometric = 14.7, by volume)

So the fuel will likely gain back all the heat that was lost at the fuel cooler while it makes its way to the injectors. This would only be effective with high fuel consumption engines.

Last edited:
This is total crap!

TX2000 said:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/compact-cooler.html

it is suposed to do that im not sure if that is true

I'm gonna have to raise the *bullcrap* flag. Cooling your fuel doesn't do anything to increase your horsepower. If anything, it is going to make your fuel path more complex and just make your fuel pump work harder to get the fuel to the injectors. Actually, heating the fuel would do more for power than anything else.

Jets (specifically, supersonic jets) use the fuel tanks as giant heat absorbers to soak up heat generated by the airplane skin colliding with air molecules. Adding heat to the fuel also helps the fuel atomize when entering combustion.

Since most cars are now fuel injected, the injector does the work of atomizing the fuel into a fine mist. Adding heat to the fuel before it gets squirted into the combustion chamber *might* help create a more refined mist, but I serioulsy doubt it would be worth the extra weight and complexity to heat the fuel before it gets to the engine.

well i know that part of the reason that NOS gets such big HP gains is because the gas is so cold coming out of the bottle that it makes the air coming into the engine much more dense. but u also have to be careful that if your ecu doesnt properly adjust and u dont run to lean cause it will cause major damage to the rings and seals

ya im gonna have to raise the BS flag on r1ceburner. your probably right about it not working for our cars and being to big of a pain in the ass. but anytime you can cool the air/fuel entering the engine the more hp/tq you will make. that my friend is a proven fact. just look what a difference track times are when its hot and cold.
please dont heat your fuel/ cooler is better my young grasshopper:) just my 2cent chime in if you think im wrong

outside temps isn't going to cool down your fuel much if any tricked...just brings in colder/denser air that's why car's run better times...

true colder fuel doesnt make much of a difference we (mazda 3 drivers) can feel, but ive see many racers that coil the fuel line in a canister of ice to cool the fuel, every little bit help when you talkin about 1/100 of a second.

i never meant to imply that you would see the gains that u would see out of NOS, that would be stupid to expect but you will see a gain in both power and torque maybe about 10-15 hp with a good fuel cooler. pretty good considering most small mods would give you about 7 like exhaust or headers and things like that. and like trick said if u want to spend a little more i have seen professional fuel coolers that use compressors to cool the fuel down even more and i would expect to see larger gains, but like i said dont plan on doing something like that unless you also plan on building your internals up also cause you will cause damage to your engine

Back