Fs: Unichip -- cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CustomMSP

:
2010 Mazda RX8
Up for sale is a Unichip piggyback without the boost control solenoid which you can tune yourself!. It will work with any Protege, not just the MSP, if tuned for each individual setup.

I'm including the USB cable and the DOS based software, manuals, base and CAI+Cat-back maps. It'll be loaded with the base MSP map.

For whatever reason the Unichip doesn't want to work with my particular setup. I'm suspecting that it's the blow through maf that's giving it a hard time. The unichip causes my car to run extremely rich in closed loop so the ECU compensates by pulling the fuel to it's maximum range of -25%.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0294.JPG
    SAM_0294.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_0293.JPG
    SAM_0293.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_0308.JPG
    SAM_0308.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Schematics.jpg
    Schematics.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
It probably can, but it won't be easy as the plug and play harness is designed for the FSDE ECU. You'll need to get the wiring schematics from Unichip or ask them to create a plug and play harness for your ECU, which they probably will not want to do. With that said, anything is possible :D

Not sure if it was ever not allowed. Anybody can purchase the cable. The DOS based software is then downloadable for FREE.

Last edited:
hm... interesting... never knew you could go that route... I was always under the understandings that you have to have a unichip tuner/dealer tune your crap for you. Either way ill stop thread jacking your thread.

It is very interesting, considering how much flexibility this piggyback offers. Unichip advertised the protege system as a plug and play kit, and nothing else, hence the reason a lot of people do not know any better.

so since all the proteges have the same maf, does that mean that it will be problematic on any protege? I'm interested in this but after running the emanage blue and getting problems due to the MAF signal I'm skeptical...

so since all the proteges have the same maf, does that mean that it will be problematic on any protege? I'm interested in this but after running the emanage blue and getting problems due to the MAF signal I'm skeptical...

Not at all, unless you run your maf on the pressure side of the turbo (blow-through) like i do, then you might experience the same problem I did. My idling problem with the Unichip could be entirely due to something else. I'm just making an assumption based on what I've read from other unichip owners on a few forums. My setup is far from stock, and I do not have the time nor the desire to tune the Unichip for my particular setup any more. Keep in mind that this Plug and Play kit was specifically designed to work with the Protege by Unichip themselves. No one should have a problem using it if their setup is close to stock MSP out of the box. If their modifications are a bit more extensive then it'll have to be tuned for their specific setup.

The emanage blue doesn't work on the Proteges not because of the maf but because the ECU learns over the changes unless one runs an O2 voltage clamp in parallel which switches the ECU into open loop mode at a user defined pressure point. Then you can modify the AFR all you need without the ECU knowing about it. But it's not as easy as it sounds as there are many driving conditions to account for outside of full throttle.

The bottom line is: This particular kit might or might not work for the buyer out of the box. If you have the time and the desire to play around with it (which you can do with the included software and cable) then by all means go for it. If you'd rather get something that's guaranteed to work then try the Split Second AFC (Fuel only) or FTC (Fuel plus timing retarting).

Let me know!

Last edited:
thanks, I'm NA with light head work, intake and exhaust...i will let u know, i am very interested...think it'll run NA well?

If you feel like experimenting then I'm sure that the Unichip is up to the task. However, I know that there are a few N/A maps in circulation for the Split Second piggy backs which will make your life a lot simpler.

You should be able to. Is the harness the same between the DE and ZE? Do you want me to email you the tuning software manual so you can see what it's all about?

You should be able to. Is the harness the same between the DE and ZE? Do you want me to email you the tuning software manual so you can see what it's all about?

I thought the ZE was on a OBD1 setup and the DE is on a OBD2 setup. I think thats what i read from one of focus's post. Ill see if I can dig it up real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back